Forty-three contestants from 20 nations are expected to participate in the Leonard Rose International Cello Competition and Festival Thursday through July 26 at the College Park campus as part of the 1997 University of Maryland Rossborough Festival.
More than $50,000 in cash awards is being offered, including a first prize of $20,000, plus engagements. The winner will be presented in recital Nov. 16 at Lincoln Center, New York.
The preliminary and semifinal rounds will be held in the Tawes Theatre on campus Thursday through July 23. The final round with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra will be at 8 p.m. July 26.
Other festival events include recitals at 8: 30 p.m. July 20 through July 25. For tickets and information, call 301-405-6538.
The Columbus Center, the new national center for marine biotechnology research and education in Baltimore's Inner Harbor, has received an Award of Merit from Canada's 1997 Governor General's Award for Architecture.
Designed by Zeidler Roberts Partnership of Toronto, the $160 million center is developed, owned and operated by the Christopher Columbus Center Development Inc., a private, nonprofit corporation. The 257,000-square-foot building features a cable-supported, free-form roof, which houses the 23,000-square-foot-marine science center, the Hall of Exploration, and is juxtaposed with the more classical look of the building's five-story east side tower.
The Magical Experiences Arts Company, an international drama and movement-therapy group, is training volunteers for its 1997-1998 season.
Volunteers are asked to work one evening a week at the Maryland School for the Blind or the Regional Institute for Children and Adolescents. Experience is not required. Call 410-358-9293.
* Vagabond Theatre. 806 S. Broadway, Fells Point. "Inherit the Wind," a courtroom drama. 7: 30 p.m. tomorrow . Large cast includes adults, ages 20-65, and children, 10-15. Call 410-563-9135.
* Performance Workshop Theatre Company. 28 E. Ostend St. "The Portable Pinter." 7: 30 p.m. July 21. The paid role calls for a woman, 25-35, with a command of British accents. For an appointment, call 410-659-7830.
* Theatre Hopkins. Merrick Barn, the Johns Hopkins University, Charles and 34th streets. Open auditions for the next season. 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. July 26. Bring resume, photo and a prepared monologue. Appointments necessary. Call 410-516-7159.
* Tidewater Players. Opera Hall at old City Hall, 121 N. Union Ave., Havre de Grace. "Wait Until Dark." 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. July 28-29. Needed are four males and one female. Call 410-939-1027 or 410-939-5204.
* Pumpkin Theatre. Hannah More Arts Center, St. Timothy's School, Stevenson. "A Little Princess" and "Alice in Wonderland." Men, women and teen-agers, ages 13 and older, at 7: 30 p.m. July 29. Children, ages 8-12, at 7: 30 p.m. July 30. Call 410-323-9402.
Pub Date: 7/13/97