A domestic dispute call in Churchton led to the arrest of a 17-year-old on charges of growing and selling marijuana, county police said.
Police got a call about 6 p.m. Sunday from a woman who said she'd been assaulted by her 17-year-old boyfriend. When officers went inside their home in the 5700 block of Blaine Road, they discovered a room filled with marijuana plants, police said. They did not identify the 18-year-old woman but said she was not seriously injured.
Police told Southern District narcotics detectives about the plants, and they got a warrant and raided the house about 11: 30 p.m.
Inside they found 62 marijuana plants, 1 1/2 pounds of marijuana in bags, $6,400, and a softball-size rock of what appeared to be red opium, a raw form of the hallucinogen which has recently become popular on Baltimore streets, police said. Investigators are waiting for lab tests on the substance.
The marijuana was valued at $6,280 and the opium at $5,000, police said.
Police charged the youth as a juvenile with possession of marijuana with intent to manufacture and distribution of marijuana. The woman was not charged.
Richard M. Miller, 59, told police that he was walking behind the Chesapeake Square Shopping Center in the 6700 block of Ritchie Highway just after 5: 30 p.m. Thursday when a tanned, clean-shaven man in a white T-shirt and blue jeans shoved his right hand into his front pocket as if he had a weapon and demanded Miller's change.
Miller complied and the man ran away. Miller went home and called police, who searched but did not find the man.
2 men rob, choke man behind produce stand
Two men choked and robbed a Glen Burnie man of an undisclosed amount of money Saturday after they dragged him behind a produce stand, county police said.
Tobby Perrer, 25, told police that he was walking in the 7900 block of Crain Highway about 2: 30 a.m. when two men approached.
Perrer ran from them, but one caught up to him and both of them dragged him behind the stand where they covered his mouth and nose, choked him and robbed him, police said.
Police do not have descriptions of the thieves, who ran away. Perrer was not seriously injured.
Robert M. Rank, who was Annapolis' oldest living retired police officer, died Sunday at Anne Arundel Medical Center of complications from emphysema and cancer. He was 74.
Officer Rank served on the Annapolis police force from March 3, 1952, until Jan. 26, 1968, when he retired as an officer first class.
Visitation will be today at Hardesty Funeral Home, 12 Ridgely Ave. in Annapolis from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. The funeral will be held tomorrow at 10 a.m. and interment at Lakemont Cemetery in Davidsonville.
A reception is scheduled after interment at Elks Lodge 2482 on Truck House Road and Jennings roads in Severna Park.
15-year-old girl arrested after carjacking attempt
Police arrested a 15-year-old Washington girl Saturday after she allegedly tried to carjack an Annapolis woman who stopped on College Parkway to help her and three other youths.
Kimberly S. Rowe, 33, of Annapolis told police that she stopped on College Parkway East near Bay Head Road about 11: 30 p.m. when she saw three teen-age girls and a boy waving her down.
The youths told Rowe that they had been stranded and asked to use her cellular phone, police said. As one of them dialed the phone, another girl opened Rowe's driver's door, grabbed the woman's hair and tried to pull her out of the car, police said. Rowe stayed in her car, drove away and called police.
Officers arrested the 15-year-old suspect and let the others go after they found the suspect acted on her own. The girl was charged as a juvenile with assault and attempted carjacking and released to her father's custody.
A dryer set off a fire that tore through the basement and first floor of a Brooklyn Park home Saturday, EMS/Fire/Rescue officials said.
Homeowner Marlene Heinbuch told rescue workers that she had taken clothes from the dryer in the basement of her rowhouse in the 400 block of Seward Ave. about 2: 30 p.m. and later smelled smoke.
When she went back to the basement, she saw flames behind the dryer. She and her husband got out of the house without injuries, but the fire caused about $100,000 in damage.
Pub Date: 7/08/97