Expulsion Likely For Teen In Arundel Bomb Incident

Criminal Charges Also Filed Against Boy, 16

April 22, 1997|By Andrea F. Siegel | Andrea F. Siegel,SUN STAFF

A 16-year-old Arundel Senior High School student can expect to be expelled today after an Anne Arundel County school system probe determined he made and tried to detonate an explosive during a gubernatorial visit to the school last month.

A procedural review of the case will be made early today, but "I expect the letter will go out and he will be expelled," said Stephen Barry, special assistant to the superintendent for student discipline.

The student has the right to appeal to the school board seeking readmission.

"Of course, being expelled is very serious," Barry said.

"But he has some issues that may be bigger to deal with. He is facing criminal charges that are very serious charges."

County EMS/Fire/Rescue investigators charged the student with malicious burning, reckless endangerment, manufacturing an explosive device and attempting to explode another person's property.

He has been released to his father's custody, and juvenile authorities will handle the case.

Barry said he hopes students will see those criminal charges and the anticipated expulsion as a message that youths can face serious consequences for potentially harmful actions.

The teen-ager is accused of making and trying to set off a device in late last month while Gov. Parris N. Glendening was visiting the Gambrills school.

There have been repeated bomb scares at the school since then. Last week, other schools received threats as well, forcing building evacuations and early dismissals.

Barry said he did not think the threats at Arundel High were related to the explosive device, but many students there believe otherwise.

The first threat came one day after the student suspected of making the device was arrested. Students say his friends called in the bomb scare in retaliation.

Arundel High administrators came in for criticism for moving the smoldering device outside the building, for not evacuating the building and for not calling 911 immediately.

Schools Superintendent Carol S. Parham has since set out rules to be followed in all cases of threats phoned into schools.

And county police have announced a task force to work with county agencies in setting up efficient responses to threats.

Pub Date: 4/22/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.