Maryland routed in ACC, 17-10 Duke flexes muscle

Va. tops UNC, 17-13

April 19, 1997|By Paul McMullen | Paul McMullen,SUN STAFF

CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. -- Maryland awoke a week ago today with designs on one of the four first-round byes in the NCAA lacrosse tournament.

This morning, the Terps are worrying about just making the 12-team tournament.

It was a quiet bus ride back to College Park last night, after Maryland was ripped by Duke, 17-10, in the opening semifinal of the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament at frigid Klockner Stadium. The Terps led 2-0, then surrendered seven straight goals, as the disturbing loss followed a similar episode against Johns Hopkins.

"We're concerned," coach Dick Edell said. "We've got two games to get it together. We have to get after Rutgers and UMBC, or we're not going to the dance."

While Maryland has no chance at a first-round bye, Duke can take a step toward one in tomorrow's (3: 30 p.m.) championship game. The Blue Devils will meet second-ranked and top-seeded Virginia, a 17-13 winner over North Carolina.

It was the worst loss for the Terps since 1993, when they fell to North Carolina, 18-10, in the ACC title game. That was the last time they've reached the championship, as last night marked their fourth straight semifinal loss.

Third-ranked Duke (8-2) beat No. 7 Maryland (6-4) in transition, beat it when the teams were even and just plain beat it up, as the Terps were no match for the bruising Blue Devils, who came in with some chips on their sizable shoulders.

"We were a little upset during the week," Duke coach Mike Pressler said. "We heard we were the underdog. We kept hearing people say that Maryland was happy with its draw. We didn't have to be motivated any further. That's as good a win as I've ever had. To beat Maryland twice in one year is a great accomplishment."

An 11-10 winner over Maryland in the season opener, Duke didn't score until the 15th minute, but once the Blue Devils got going, they couldn't be stopped. Their 7-0 run required a little more than 10 minutes, as Duke repeatedly blew by the Terps after one of Joe Kirmser's 15 saves.

Junior attackman John Fay had two of his four goals in the run, which featured two goals and two assists by senior midfielder Jim Gonnella. Both were named to the all-ACC team Thursday, but some unusual suspects also came through for Duke. Sophomore midfielder John O'Donnell had five goals, and Fay's brother Ed, the fourth attackman, had three.

Scott Hochstadt, a Terps sophomore from Boys' Latin, had four goals. Goalie Sean Keenan was lifted at the start of the fourth quarter, and about the only positive development for Maryland was the return of all-ACC defenseman Dave LaChapelle after he had jammed his neck in the fourth minute.

In the second semifinal, Virginia (9-2) raced to a 7-1 lead, but then got a scare from North Carolina (5-7), which used a 6-0 run to force a tie.

Virginia then answered with a 5-0 run of its own. The Tar Heels came back one more time and had a chance to get within one goal with 13 minutes left, but Billy Walsh's point-blank shot was stopped by Chris Sanderson.

Virginia later got two goals from Doug Knight to push its lead back up to five. Knight finished with four goals and three assists.

Maryland 2 1 4 3 -- 10

Duke ... 1 7 5 4 -- 17

Pub Date: 4/19/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.