Misfiring Dons nip St. Mary's, 8-7 Defeat is fifth in a row for defending 'A' champs

Boys lacrosse

April 16, 1997|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

In a game marked by Loyola's inability to finish its shots, it was St. Mary's which made the most costly miss yesterday.

Saints attackman Jamison Mullen's shot from five yards sailed over the goal in the final seconds, allowing No. 4-ranked Loyola to pocket an 8-7 victory over visiting No. 6 St. Mary's. The game featured an unusual occurrence in lacrosse: neither team was penalized.

It was the third straight one-goal loss for the defending Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference champion Saints (2-5), who have dropped five in a row.

The Dons (5-3), who have won three consecutive games, avenged two losses by a combined six goals to St. Mary's last year.

"We said we felt we were playing a wounded animal with the pride of a champion," Loyola coach Joe McFadden said. "When you see they have lost four straight games, I was not at all happy about being the fifth team. You know they're going to win some time, and each time, the odds are more in their favor. I was scared to death."

Loyola, which outshot St. Mary's, 40-26, but had trouble finding the cage, went ahead, 3-1, when Mike Morris took a length of the field pass from goalkeeper Pat McGinnis and drove from the wing to score with one second remaining in the first quarter.

The Dons misfired on their next 13 shots over a 17 1/2 -minute stretch as the Saints went ahead, 4-3, early in the third quarter.

Loyola came back with a 4-1 run as Matt Urlock racked up three goals and an assist.

Urlock tied the game as Morris fed him over the middle of the defense midway through the third. Two minutes later, he put the Dons up for good with a pass to Mark Knysh on the crease.

"Our lack of goals is not from a lack of effort," McFadden said. "I felt we out-played them. We were creating situations but the ball was not going in the net."

St. Mary's coach Jim Moorhead was at a loss in explaining another one-goal defeat.

"We played hard, but that's all I can say," said Moorhead, whose Saints scored all unassisted goals. "Three one-goal games -- obviously, we're not quite there."

Boys' Latin 18, Gilman 2: Lacrosse class was in session yesterday at No. 1-ranked Boys' Latin, where the Lakers gave No. 3 Gilman a lesson, as Greyhounds coach John Tucker put it, "in every facet of the game."

Greg Patchak (four goals, two assists), Tom Glatzel (three goals, four assists), and Aaron Vercollone (three goals) topped the scoring by the Lakers, who raced to a 10-0 halftime lead.

The Lakers scored four of their first eight goals the same way -- after ground-ball pickups within a few yards of the goal. Patchak netted two, and Kip Edwards buried the other from 10 yards for a 7-0 lead with 7: 41 left in the first half.

"We have a knack for digging ground balls, and that can really make it tough on the other team," said Patchak. "A lot of their defensive mistakes were made because they were playing us so aggressively on defense."

The combined efforts of the Lakers' midfield and defense allowed the Lakers to out-shoot the Greyhounds, 13-0, over the first 10 minutes of the second quarter (27-4 for the first half).

Gilman got goals from Brandon Cornes and Alex Lieske in the third period's final three minutes. But the Greyhounds could not convert an extra-man opportunity in the final two minutes of the first half because Lakers' keeper Brian Berger (eight saves) deflected a 12-yard bounced shot by All-Metro Keith Baker and blocked another by Tyler Brawner.

In midfield, the Lakers' top performers were All-Metro Vercollone (three goals), Mike Thomas (one goal) and Mark Krastel (one goal). James Watson-Galbreith won 13 of 20 faceoffs overall.

Pub Date: 4/16/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.