Ex-teacher get 15 months in child pornography case

April 15, 1997|By TaNoah Morgan | TaNoah Morgan,SUN STAFF

A former Arundel High School teacher and drama coach who admitted last year to receiving child pornography over the Internet was sentenced yesterday in federal court to 15 months in a minimum security prison.

Bruce Edward McDade, 48, apologized to his family and friends before sentencing.

"I will never try to get a job in the field of teaching," McDade said in a quivering voice. "I swear to you and these people here, I will never do anything to hurt them again or disappoint them."

McDade, of Greenbelt, was indicted in May on eight counts of distributing and five counts of receiving "a visual depiction of a minor engaging in sexually explicit conduct," court documents show.

He pleaded guilty in December to receiving child pornography over the Internet in exchange for the government dropping all remaining charges. After McDade was charged, he was assigned to administrative duties at Board of Education headquarters in Annapolis. He was fired Thursday.

The sentence, recommended by the prosecution, was the least allowable under federal sentencing guidelines. The court allowed him 45 days before he surrenders.

Defense attorney M. Brooke Murdock argued that losing the job that was a large part of McDade's life should count as part of his punishment.

But Assistant U.S. Attorney Sandra Wilkinson said, "This is a man who was engaging in the most serious type of harm. When anybody is convicted of a crime as amoral as this one, they are going to lose their job."

U.S. District Judge Alexander Williams Jr. said he was "moved" by from friends and colleagues who supported McDade, but could not consider the loss of McDade's job in the sentence.

"Mr. McDade, you let down a lot of people with the actions you engaged in," the judge said. "Hard pornography being received and distributed back and forth is not something we can look upon lightly, and the word has to go out that this is very serious. I can't violate my duty as a judge."

After sentencing, McDade was met with hugs and kisses from family and friends.

"I'm really sorry that I put everybody through this," he said.

Pub Date: 4/15/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.