William B. Logan, 74, FDA agentWilliam B. "Wild Bill...

April 15, 1997

William B. Logan, 74, FDA agent

William B. "Wild Bill" Logan, a retired U.S. Food and Drug Administration agent, died of Lou Gehrig's disease and lymphoma March 27 at Mount Vernon (Va.) Hospital. The former Baltimore resident was 74.

He retired from the FDA in 1979, ending a 30-year career, and moved from Waverly to Alexandria, Va., where he was active in youth programs at Fort Myer and Fort Belvoir.

Born in Connellsville, Pa., he graduated from high school there in 1940 and moved to Guilford Avenue in Waverly.

In 1941, he was drafted into the Army and commissioned a second lieutenant in 1942. He was wounded in Germany in 1945 and was awarded the Silver Star for heroism after placing dynamite under an enemy pill box at the Siegfried Line. He was discharged with the rank of first lieutenant in 1945.

Mr. Logan, who earned a bachelor's degree from the University of Maryland in 1949, was a member of American Legion Post 164 in Waverly.

He was buried April 8 with full military honors at Arlington National Cemetery.

He is survived by his wife of 30 years, the former Elaine Wilhelm; a brother, Henry J. Logan of Bel Air; four sisters, Mary E. Stansbury of Boca Raton, Fla., Martha F. Stansbury of Brooksville, Fla., Ann M. Gardiner of Fort Myers, Fla., and Helen T. Gahm of Baltimore.

Robert A. Wingard, 84, inventory manager, gardener

Robert A. Wingard, an avid gardener who retired as a manager for a pipefitting company, died of cancer April 8 at home at Broadmead. He was 84.

He came to Maryland in 1939 and joined the Pratt Thompson Co., an industrial valve and pipefitting company, and retired as an inventory manager in 1979.

After serving in the Army Air Forces in the Pacific during World War II, he moved to Eldon, a rambling Victorian house reportedly visited by President Abraham Lincoln. The house had a swimming pool that was a hub of social activity in Lutherville in the 1950s and 1960s.

Mr. Wingard also had a 6,000-square-foot garden where he grew beans, corn and tomatoes that he sold in the neighborhood. His favorite was okra, which he would give to anyone who promised to serve it fried, not boiled.

Born in Cedartown, Ga., he worked for a carpet business in Rome, Ga., where he married Elizabeth Wilkins in 1933. She died in 1978.

In 1979, he married Marian Wheeler Cursey. In 1992, they moved to Broadmead, where he was active in social and administrative groups and had a small garden, growing mainly okra.

He was a member of St. John's United Methodist Church and Valley Baptist Church, both in Lutherville, and the Timonium Lions Club.

A memorial service was held Thursday.

Survivors include his wife; a son, Robert P. Wingard of Lutherville; a stepson, Millard L. Cursey Jr. of Phoenix, Ariz.; and two granddaughters.

Nathaniel S. Hall, 76, brick mason

Nathaniel S. Hall, a self-employed brick mason and former Baltimorean, died of heart failure Saturday at home in Biglerville, Pa. He was 76.

The former resident of Walbrook Junction moved to Pennsylvania in 1975. His career as a brick mason spanned 50 years and he was semiretired at the time of his death.

"He did both commercial and residential work and was probably best-known for his stone fireplaces," said his son, Michael J. Hall of Columbia.

Nathaniel Hall was born in Baltimore and was a 1939 graduate of Douglass High School.

In 1947, he married Bernice E. Cromwell, who died in 1996.

He was a communicant of Prince of Peace Episcopal Church in Gettysburg, Pa., and a former communicant of St. Mary the Virgin Episcopal Church, 3121 Walbrook Ave., where services will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow.

Other survivors include two daughters, Natalie H. Lee of Columbia and Cicely Hall Williams of Baltimore; a sister, Cicely Jacqueline Harmon of Baltimore; and four grandchildren.

John Joseph McHugh, 76, Social Security worker

John Joseph McHugh, a longtime Social Security Administration employee, died of cancer Thursday at home in Queenstown on the Eastern Shore. He was 76.

He served in the Navy from 1940 to 1945 during World War II and, after he was discharged, joined SSA in Boston, his native city. In 1961, he was transferred to the Woodlawn office, where he was chief of disability, and retired in 1977.

Mr. McHugh, who graduated from Boston University in 1949, lived in Baltimore from 1961 to 1982, when he moved to Queenstown.

Services were held yesterday.

Survivors include his wife, the former Mary L. Sweeney, whom he married in 1946; a son, Kevin McHugh of Annapolis; four daughters, Karen Bayne of Walla Walla, Wash., Maureen Scheetz of Bethany Beach, Del., Kathleen Winter of Westminster and Sheila Croker of Arnold; and four sisters, Cecelia McHugh, Rita McHugh, Agnes McHugh and Patricia McHugh, all of Wrentham, Mass.

Pub Date: 4/15/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.