Braxton stops Walker, keeps state crown Super middleweight uses hard rights to win in 6th

April 09, 1997|By Alan Goldstein | Alan Goldstein,SUN STAFF

In a state super middleweight title match at Martin's West that closely resembled an alley fight, Stan Braxton kept his crown by bullying Gerry Walker for five rounds before stopping VTC his Baltimore rival at 2: 36 of the sixth round last night.

Braxton (163) had a three-pound weight advantage, but appeared much stronger than Walker, carrying the fight from the opening bell.

Braxton hurt Walker in the fourth with a hard right hand and used the same punch to finish the job in the sixth. Walker (9-9-1) took two standing eight counts and was reeling around the ring when another Braxton flurry convinced referee Ken Chavalier to end it.

"It was an ugly fight, but I'm satisfied with the result," said Braxton (8-1-2), whose roughhouse tactics drew a one-point penalty.

"I came out wanting to strong-arm Walker, but he was fighting the same way. My corner told me to box, and I settled down and took care of business."

In other fights last night:

After a sluggish start, Baltimore junior middleweight Kenny Blackston (11-4) staggered Tryone Dillard (5-7-1) of Philadelphia with a right hand in the third round and finished the job with another big right at 33 seconds of the fifth round.

Unbeaten Pikesville welterweight Emil Baku won his seventh straight, knocking out Pittsburgh's Bernard Robinson (3-15-1) at 1: 09 of the sixth and final round to keep his knockout streak alive.

After dominating every round, the Russian native shook Robinson with a left hook and maintained the pressure until referee Jodi Wingfield intervened.

Bowie super middleweight Demetrius Davis (12-8-3), who has fought several main events, stepped down in class to fight a four-rounder with journeyman Dan Mitchell (11-35-2) of Pittsburgh. A left hook dropped Mitchell in the second round. He made little effort to regain his feet and was counted out at 54 seconds.

Arbutus featherweight Moe Rites (0-1-1) tired in the last two rounds and suffered a cut eye in a four-round draw with Keneth Ntabazi (0-3-1 ) of Richmond, Va.

Namadu Ali (2-2-1), Camden, N.J., rallied in the third round to stop Troy Jackson (2-3) of Baltimore. Jackson suffered a gash in the back of his head and a physician ruled him unfit to continue.

Pub Date: 4/09/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.