Mids beat retreat vs. physical Terps Determined Maryland does 2nd-half hustle, shuts down Navy, 10-5

April 06, 1997|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Navy attempted to beat Maryland by playing the Terrapins' own roughhouse style.

Bad move.

A fired-up No. 4 Maryland team physically pummeled No. 10 Navy after halftime, shutting out the Midshipmen in the second half for a 10-5 victory yesterday before 4,427 at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium yesterday.

The Terps (6-2), who held Navy without a goal for the final 30: 43, hadn't recorded a scoreless half since blanking Ohio State on March 22, 1994. A month ago, the Maryland defense silenced Towson State for 38 minutes.

It was the lowest goal total for Navy (6-3) in over a year.

"We've talked about how nobody plays this game as hard as we do," Maryland coach Dick Edell said. "But I just talked a little bit in halftime. I said: Let's focus; we're a better lacrosse team and let's prove it."

Maryland turned the game around by shoving the Midshipmen out of the way for ground balls, battling to win faceoffs and playing some punishing nose-to-nose defense. The result: ball-control offense and easy stick saves for Terps goalkeeper Sean Keenan.

Trailing 5-4 at halftime, Maryland scored the last six goals of the game, including three on dodges by midfielder Frank Radin.

The Terps tied the game at 5 just a minute into the third quarter as Peter Hilgartner took a pass from Matt Hahn and flicked in a high-rising shot that caught the bottom of the cross bar. Five minutes later, Maryland went ahead 6-5 as Radin beat a couple of defenders on the right wing.

Terps attackman Scott Hochstadt tagged an 8-yard shot on an extra-man situation to push the lead to 7-5 with 6 1/2 minutes left in the third.

Navy never answered.

The Mids lost five of the last seven faceoffs. They lost the ground-ball battle in the second half 26-18.

Navy did get a career day from goalkeeper Mickey Jarboe, who recorded 21 saves. But the Midshipmen progressively got frustrated on offense, forcing passes through packed defenses and taking wild perimeter shots.

Navy put 10 of its 16 shots in the second half on goal, but Keenan stopped every one of them.

"We went into the locker room and wanted to show we play harder," said Keenan, who fell one short of his career-best with 17 saves. "It was a gut check for us."

In the first half, the Midshipmen matched the Terps on the field and capitalized on Maryland's miscues. Navy scored on two of four extra-man opportunities in a 5 1/2 -minute stretch to tie the game at 4.

The Midshipmen then took a 5-4 advantage when attackman Brad Gilroy slid past Terps midfielder Erik Osberg for a low, bouncing shot with 43 seconds remaining in the first half.

"The whole week, we heard how hard they play," Maryland defenseman Dave LaChapelle said. "We didn't want another team playing harder than us. We took it personally."

Although Maryland had played in back-to-back overtime games the past two weeks, it seemed to be the stronger team in the fourth quarter. During long stretches of the fourth quarter, Maryland easily ran off time on its offensive end with little pressure from the weary Midshipmen.

Navy coach Richie Meade said the Terps lived up to their blue-collar billing.

"It was something that didn't have to do with offense or defense," said Meade, whose Navy team has lost three of its past five games. "They out-hustled us in the second half. They got the ground balls. At the moment of truth, we didn't make the plays defensively."

Pub Date: 4/06/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.