Fort Howard man, 84, dies in fire at his home wife, 68, is injured

March 31, 1997|BY A SUN STAFF WRITER

A Fort Howard man died yesterday at Maryland Shock Trauma Center after being burned over 70 percent of his body when his home caught fire Saturday night, Baltimore County Fire Department officials said.

William Burns Sr., 84, and his wife, Vicki Burns, 68, discovered the fire just before 10: 30 p.m. in the second-floor living room of their house at the 9200 block of North Point Road, said battalion Chief Mark Hubbard. "Discarded smoking material" caused the fire, he said.

The couple tried to put out the fire and were attempting to flee when the fire spread, Hubbard said.

William Burns, was found unconscious inside the front door, and Vicki Burns was found on the front lawn. The wife was treated at trauma center for leg burns and released yesterday, Hubbard said.

A shock trauma nursing supervisor said Mr. Burns died at 5: 30 p.m. yesterday.

The couple's son-in-law and next door neighbor Eric Winger, 31, also suffered burns on his legs after trying to rescue William Burns, Hubbard said. Winger was treated at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center and released yesterday. Shane Davies, a firefighter whose hand was cut by glass, was also treated at the medical center and released.

Pub Date: 3/31/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.