St. Mary's gets last word vs. Annapolis with 10-6 win No. 2-ranked Saints take two in Hallmark tourney

Girls lacrosse

March 30, 1997|By Katherine Dunn | Katherine Dunn,SUN STAFF

St. Mary's probably didn't need any extra incentive to beat Annapolis at yesterday's Betty Hallmark Girls Lacrosse Tournament, but the Panthers gave them some anyway.

Thursday on some of their classmates' cars, the Saints discovered fliers reminding them that the Panthers won last year and proclaiming that they would again, and run their win streak to 22 games.

"They were about how the Panthers were going to take it to St. Mary's," said Saints midfielder Tiffany Schummer, "and all it did was make us more excited. The whole team came to play and when everyone comes to play, there's not much you can do to stop that."

As a result, the No. 2 Saints (4-0) never trailed en route to a 10-6 victory over No. 3 Annapolis (2-1) in the marquee game of Severn's annual showdown between public and private schools.

The Saints defense, led by Kristen Hagert and Megan Lewis, upset the Panthers' attack and forced a lot of bad shots. After scoring on three of their first four shots, the Panthers hit only three of 16 the rest of the game.

"The defense was spectacular," said Saints goalie Jen Corradini. "A lot of their attack couldn't do much. The defense was just on -- denying passes, letting them only get eight-meters."

Corradini, who did not allow a free-position goal, finished with eight saves -- all four in the second half against eight-meter shots.

"They did a very good job of fouling to take away the shot," said Annapolis coach Dave Gehrdes. "Better to give somebody an eight-meter shot and take your chances there than letting somebody have a shot from two meters out. They were smart fouls."

But the Panthers, who matched the Saints with 20 shots, didn't capitalize.

"We were forcing it a lot," said attacker Brooke Wagner.

Early on, the Panthers kept pace, answering every Saints goal. Kelly Dirks' second of three goals, midway through the first half, tied it at 3.

The Panthers then made several critical mistakes that helped St. Mary's score the next three goals.

Called for an illegal pick, they turned the ball over to Lauren Kenchington who ran straight in for a 4-3 lead.

Then Kellie Thompson, who already had scored three goals, got loose again and Hagert assisted her for a 5-3 lead.

The Panthers had a chance to make up some ground when the Saints turned the ball over twice trying to clear it, but Corradini held them off with a save and an interception. Her clear after the interception initiated a passing series that culminated in a Schummer goal and a 6-3 lead going into halftime.

Late in the second half, Kate Bjorke's goal cut the St. Mary's lead to two. But the Saints, who won 11 of 18 draws, controlled the next one and Katie Robinson quickly scored to make it a 9-6 game with 4: 25 left.

Although yesterday's tournament was not set up to determine a champion, the Saints were the only team to win both of their games. They also beat No. 10 Broadneck, 8-5, mostly with their second string including goalie Jennifer White, who had nine saves.

The Bruins (1-2) held the early edge, taking a 3-1 lead on Lauren Peck's eight-meter shot, but Lindsay Ringle and Thompson scored within 29 seconds of each other to tie by halftime. In the first 13 minutes of the second half, the Bruins hit the pipe five times as the Saints pulled away on goals by Kenchington, Thompson, Michelle Zurfluh and Ringle.

Host and No. 12 Severn (4-2) split its games -- beating Broadneck, 9-5, and falling to Annapolis, 8-5. Jen Hartman and Carol Prickett scored three each in the win while Peck had four for the Bruins.

Pub Date: 3/30/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.