Broadneck plays through pain, splits in tournament Thomas leads Mt. Hebron to consolation victory

Boys lacrosse

March 30, 1997|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

The Broadneck lacrosse team began to pick up the pieces yesterday.

The Bruins had been on an emotional roller-coaster since the death of Loyola freshman and former Broadneck star Gerry Case eight days ago.

But No. 6 Broadneck was able to get on the field for a game for the first time this season in its Lawrence E. Knight Memorial Lacrosse Tournament. The Bruins, the defending Class 3A-4A state champions, first defeated No. 9 Mount Hebron, 7-6, in a rematch of that title game.

Broadneck then ran into a solid St. Albans team in the championship last night. The Washington-based Bulldogs used a five-goal, one-assist performance from Winship Ross to score a 10-6 victory.

The Bruins were supposed to have already played two games -- against Landon and Northeast -- but they were called off. And after a week of talk about hospitals, illnesses and funerals, Broadneck began to think about lacrosse.

"To be able to play lacrosse again and to get into the routine again really helps us," said Broadneck coach Clay White. "It just felt like you lost a family member, and I don't think any of us wants to be alone right now."

The Bruins honored Case's memory in several ways. All of the players wore "GC 9" patches on their jerseys; a "9" on their helmets and had T-shirts underneath their jerseys that said "Broadneck Lacrosse" with Case's No. 9 on the back.

Joey Case, Gerry's younger brother, went even further. The sophomore wore Gerry's shoes and white socks with the word "Loyola" on the side.

Joey Case turned in a tremendous performance in both games. He scored a goal in the Mount Hebron game and later fed Rusty Petsche for the game-winning goal with 2: 59 left.

"It felt good to get on the lacrosse field and forget about all the problems," said Joey Case. "My teammates and coaches were behind me all the way. I was just thinking about lacrosse and trying to win because that's what my brother would have wanted."

Broadneck started quickly in the day's first game, jumping to a 6-3 halftime lead over Mount Hebron. But the Vikings rallied in the second half, getting two goals from Mike Stromberg, the second tying the game with 7: 54 left.

But the Bruins pulled it out. Case made a perfect feed to Petsche in close, and he scored the team's fourth extra-man goal. Goalie Mike Allen saved the victory with two point-blank saves in the final 18 seconds.

St. Albans defeated C. Milton Wright, 6-2, in the other semifinal game to reach the championship. Mount Hebron then bounced back to defeat the Mustangs, 13-8, in the consolation game behind the seven-goal performance of James Thomas.

After that came the title game, one that Ross dominated for St. Albans (4-0), the runner-up in this tournament last year. Ross won seven of eight faceoffs and helped the Bulldogs control the game.

Ross scored three straight goals in the second quarter to help St. Albans take a 4-1 halftime lead. Stuart Macey of Broadneck scored 21 seconds into the second half and teammate Matt Atkinson followed 18 seconds later to slice the lead to one.

But the Bulldogs took over after that, shutting down Broadneck and scoring the next six goals for a 10-3 lead with 2: 33 left.

Case then stepped up for Broadneck, scoring once and making a pair of slick passes to help Nate Williams score twice 19 seconds apart for the 10-6 final.

"It says a lot about the character of a player like Gerry Case, who had five goals and one assist in the state championship against us, that some of our players wanted to do something for him," said Mount Hebron coach Jeff Doolan, whose team contributed $150 to the fund established in Case's memory.

"Nothing will take away the hurt we feel," said White.

Pub Date: 3/30/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.