Hereford loss spoils showdown at tourney McDonogh wins final, but misses shot at Bulls

Boys lacrosse

March 30, 1997|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The anticipated matchup between the defending state champion Hereford Bulls and upstart McDonogh never took place yesterday.

The eighth-ranked Eagles did what they had to do to get past Bullis Prep in the opening round of their own tournament but Hereford's 5-4 overtime loss to Woodberry Forest had people at yesterday's final asking the burning question: "Where's Hereford?"

"Hereford messed up everything," said McDonogh coach Jake Reed, a good friend of Hereford coach Whit Morrill. "I told Whit, it's all his fault."

Actually, Woodberry Forest had a lot to do with it.

But the visitors from southern Virginia proved no match for McDonogh in the championship game. With No. 12 Hereford playing Bullis in the consolation game on an adjacent practice field, the Eagles had the Tigers wishing they hadn't advanced. McDonogh ran out to a 9-1 lead en route to a 20-5 victory.

Greg Adams led the assault with five goals. Ryan Floyd dished out seven assists and Dan Cassell chipped in two goals and four assists.

The list continues.

Matt Primm and Bob Benson registered four goals and three goals, respectively, and Brad Dumont added two goals and one assist.

"Half our team, when they show up at Woodberry, it's the first time they play and McDonogh's guys have had a lacrosse stick in their hands since they were 3 or 4 years old," said Woodberry coach John Gillespie, whose team opened its season yesterday. "McDonogh is by far the best team we'll play all season. That's why we come up here to play. This was a great experience for us."

The Eagles (6-1), whose only blemish this season is a one-goal loss to defending Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference champion St. Mary's, weren't as dominant in their 11-3 opening-round win over Bullis.

Benson led the way in that game with three goals and Floyd provided a goal and three assists.

Hereford (2-1) took a 3-1 lead in its opener and led the Tigers, 3-2, at the half. Woodberry knotted the score in the third quarter and the game was sent into overtime after a scoreless fourth period.

"That first game was a grinder," said Morrill. "We lacked cohesion on offense but hey, it's still March."

Senior attackman John Vogt scored two goals and assisted on three others in the Bulls' 11-3 consolation victory over Bullis. Bob Rinehimer, Tony Vachino and Mark Cox each had two goals.

Doug McKee started in goal in place of Tim Mascari in Hereford's second game and recorded 18 saves. Mascari made 12 saves while in the first game but was victimized by his teammates' 4-for-25 shooting performance.

"I thought Hereford would give us a real tough game. I expected a one- or two-goal game," said Reed, whose team deserves a break after playing seven games in nine days. "Unfortunately, things didn't work out."

Pub Date: 3/30/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.