Glenelg, playing with body, heart, sticks it to tough S. Carroll, 11-10 Mulhern goal 3: 32 from end gives Glads third straight

Boys lacrosse

March 28, 1997|By Rick Belz | Rick Belz,SUN STAFF

Glenelg coach Rick Kincaid said his team has a heart stronger than a fire pump. And it needed that kind of heart to fight off visiting South Carroll yesterday, 11-10.

Twice the Cavaliers came from behind to tie Glenelg, the last time at 10 with 5: 11 left to play. But both times the Gladiators came up with goals to keep South Carroll from taking the lead.

Matt Mulhern finally scored the game-winner with 3: 32 left to play.

South Carroll's defeat dropped the Cavaliers to 3-1 as Glenelg improved its record to 3-0.

In a game dominated by team play, Mulhern played a key role. In addition to one goal, he made three assists and recovered 14 ground balls.

"This was the best team we've played, and teamwork made the difference," Mulhern said. "Our stick skills weren't as good as theirs, but we were unselfish and played very aggressive today."

Glenelg was called for seven penalties to just two for South Carroll, an indication perhaps of Glenelg's edge in aggressiveness.

The Gladiators started fast, taking a 4-1 first-quarter lead.

"We're young on defense," South Carroll coach Jeff Alisauckas said. "Two juniors and a sophomore start there, and our goalkeeper is a junior, and of the four, only one has varsity experience before this season. I thought Nick McCready [Cavalier goalkeeper] played a great game, considering the number of one-on-ones he faced. Glenelg has an attack that can play."

A South Carroll goal by Ryan Blair with 19 seconds left in the first half cut Glenelg's lead to 8-5.

The Cavaliers came out fired up for the second half and scored three more goals to tie it at 8 with 7: 27 left in the third period.

Connor Pett, Glenelg's leading scorer, then got the go-ahead goal, and Chad Marshall scored on a Mike Neale pass to make it 10-8. Neal scored three goals and had two assists. Adam McQuigg scored two goals and had three assists in an equally strong effort for Glenelg.

Charlie Gibson, who played an outstanding game for South Carroll, took his faceoff all the way to goal to score eight seconds after Marshall's goal.

And Andree Bettis tied it at 10 with a long shot from in front of the goal with 5: 11 left to play.

South Carroll's Rob Onda took the game's last shot with 20 seconds left but missed.

"This is a big confidence-builder for us," Kincaid said. "We beat a very good team. Glenelg spirit and team chemistry came through today. We got key goals and ground balls when we needed them. McCready played a great game for South Carroll."

Pub Date: 3/28/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.