Ex-Gary aide gets 6-month suspended sentence in bigamy case

March 28, 1997|By Dennis O'Brien | Dennis O'Brien,SUN STAFF

A former top aide to the county executive who pleaded guilty to bigamy two months ago won't go to jail, but will have to perform 160 hours of community service.

Aubrey L. Linton, 52, was given a suspended six-month jail sentence yesterday by Anne Arundel County Circuit Judge Martin A. Wolff. The judge also placed him on nine months' unsupervised probation and ordered him to complete the community service.

Wolff agreed to consider Linton's request for probation before judgment, which would essentially erase his felony conviction, if he completes his community service in nine months.

Linton resigned in October from his $51,749 post as County Executive John G. Gary's liaison to the county police and fire departments after he was indicted on charges of bigamy and perjury. The perjury charge was dismissed as part of a plea agreement worked out in January.

Wolff said that he was impressed by Linton's otherwise crime-free record, but that he could not completely forgive his offense.

"You just can't turn your head away and say nothing happened," Wolff said.

Linton, a former Prince George's County paramedic, admitted in court that he was married to his second wife at the time of his marriage in August 1995 to his third wife, Sheila M. Sample. Bigamy carries a maximum nine-year sentence.

With his wife, Sheila, sitting in the courtroom a few feet behind him, Linton apologized for embarrassing his family and former boss.

"I want to apologize to the people I worked with and for violating the trust that I had from them," Linton said, his voice cracking.

Don F. Lindner, Linton's lawyer, said Linton had recently obtained a divorce from his second wife and married his third wife in "a quiet civil ceremony."

"This is one of those rare cases in this courthouse, where there really isn't a victim," Lindner said.

Court records show that Linton had not filed for divorce from Robin C. Wilkinson, whom he married in 1986, until six months after he married Sample at a ceremony performed at his Lothian home in August 1995. Guests at the ceremony included Gary, the county police chief, personnel officer and other top administration officials.

Linton was charged after police received an anonymous letter in September alerting them to the offense.

Linton said he was working as a home improvement contractor and pursuing other business opportunities, but he declined to elaborate. "At this point, it's nobody's business," he said.

He said he thought Wolff had treated him fairly and that he hoped to do carpentry work for the county for his community service.

"I just want to get this behind me," Linton said.

Pub Date: 3/28/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.