Mt. Hebron plays keepaway to defeat Bryn Mawr, 12-6 No. 4 Vikings break open game with 2nd-half flurry

Girls lacrosse

March 26, 1997|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

Mount Hebron yesterday showed host Bryn Mawr the difficulty of doing anything without the ball.

After battling the Mawrtians to a halftime tie, No. 4-ranked Mount Hebron controlled the ball for nearly the entire second half while scoring seven straight goals en route to a 12-6 victory.

The Vikings opened their season in style, as Cecelia Randazzo (two goals) picked up the opening draw, raced downfield and scored nine seconds into the game -- but the Mawrtians kept fighting back throughout the half.

Tara Hardiman scored three times and Kim Smith added two more, the second one coming with one minute left in the half to force a 5-5 tie.

Mount Hebron coach Chris Robinson said he told his team to work harder on the draws and getting ground balls.

"The key to the game is possession," said Robinson. "Bryn Mawr was controlling the ball in the first half."

That changed dramatically in the second half. The Vikings controlled the draws, gobbled up many of the grounders and kept possession nearly the entire time.

Mount Hebron exhibited good patience on offense, using superior speed and quickness to find scoring chances. The Vikings also spread out the Mawrtians' defense and opened up some offensive opportunities.

"In the first half, we were a little excited," said Randazzo. "But we knew that if we had the ball, they couldn't do anything."

That's how the second half played itself out. Mount Hebron scored seven goals, keeping Bryn Mawr quiet until Charlotte Graham finally scored with 1: 09 left.

Randazzo started things by scoring only 52 seconds into the half. Rachael Karfonta added another goal 3: 47 later for a 7-5 lead.

Ju Kim (two goals) then took a great feed from Chrissy Lombard (one goal, one assist) for another goal 95 seconds after that. Lombard dazzled everyone by scooping up a loose ball, spinning and hitting Kim cutting to the goal.

Kyle Rutkowski, Tracey Bounds, Katie Nordhoff and Kelly Dodson (two goals) also scored in the second half for the Vikings.

The final would have been worse if Bryn Mawr goalie Stephanie Marudas hadn't stepped up big. Marudas made 11 saves, almost all on point-blank shots. Her efforts kept the game close in the first half.

But goaltending was a problems for Mount Hebron. Starter Kristin Foster turned her ankle in pre-game warmups and had to go to the hospital for treatment.

Amy Jagoda stepped in, but didn't have a lot of work, making only five saves. Mount Hebron outshot the Mawrtians, 14-2, in the second half alone while dominating play.

Pub Date: 3/26/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.