No. 10 Severn clips Mount St. Joe, 10-6 Admirals run to 6-2 lead at half against No. 13 Gaels

Boys lacrosse

March 26, 1997|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

As an alumnus of Severn School, Mount St. Joe coach Steve Szlasa takes great joy in seeing his Gaels stick it to his alma mater on the lacrosse field.

"I tried to impress upon my team how much this game means to me," said Szlasa. "Being a Severn graduate, I would forfeit the rest of my games just to win this one."

Too late.

The visiting and 10th-ranked Admirals had their own agenda yesterday when they stepped on Xavier Field and they walked off it with a 10-6 victory over their MIAA A Conference rivals.

Severn (2-1), which is trying to get back to the playoffs for the first time since 1991, got three goals and one assist each from John Neely and Doug Machen and 18 saves from junior goalie James Carter en route to its first conference win of the season.

"Early on, I thought we were moving the ball real well, we were unselfish and we were picking up the ground balls.

"We don't have a Josh Sims [now at Princeton] or a Pete Janney [Pennsylvania] this year a kid that you can throw it to and know that he is going to run by his guy," said the Severn coach, whose team was routed by Calvert Hall, 14-6, in its league opener. "We've got to move the ball."

Severn did just that in the first half as it ran out to a 6-2 halftime lead over the No. 13-ranked Gaels (4-2).

Neely scored the first two goals for the Admirals and assisted Machen with 2: 16 left in the first to give the visitors a 3-0 advantage.

Devan Spilker (one goal, one assist) cut the lead to two when he converted a pass from Mike Wells with 2: 16 left in the first quarter and Josh Ferguson made it a 3-2 ballgame with his unassisted goal early in the second quarter.

That was as close as the Gaels would get as Severn closed out the first half with three unanswered goals, the first two coming from Ted Harries and Brandon McDowell.

Severn widened the margin to 10-3 in the third quarter before being shut out and giving up three goals in the fourth quarter.

Pub Date: 3/26/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.