Emilius A. Sullivan, 94, executive, volunteerEmilius Adams...

March 26, 1997

Emilius A. Sullivan, 94, executive, volunteer

Emilius Adams Sullivan, a retired business executive and longtime volunteer, died of heart failure Sunday at Manor Care Ruxton. He was 94.

He joined Commercial Credit Corp. in Cleveland in 1926 after serving briefly in the Army. After working there and in Savannah, Ga., he was transferred to Baltimore. He retired in 1967.

After he retired, the 40-year resident of the Marylander Apartments in the 3500 block of St. Paul St. was a volunteer at the Red Cross for 18 years and at St. Ignatius Roman Catholic Church on Calvert Street downtown, where he did office work.

He was born in Mount Washington and graduated from Loyola High School in 1920 and the University of Maryland College Park in 1924.

He was a member of the Mount Washington Club and the Baltimore Athletic Club.

Mr. Sullivan was a longtime communicant of SS. Philip and James Roman Catholic Church, 2801 N. Charles St.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10: 15 a.m. today at Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church, Baltimore and Ware avenues, Towson.

He is survived by seven nephews, Bernard C. Kirby of Baltimore, Michael B. Kirby of Cumberland, Pierce E. Sullivan of San Antonio, Texas, George E. Sullivan and Donald B. Sullivan, both of Littleton, Colo., Edward L. Sullivan of Oklahoma City and Robert Sullivan of Boulder, Colo.; two nieces, Mary V. Tillery of Ocean Pines and Sister Emma B. Kirby, R.S.M., of Baltimore; and 20 great-nephews and great-nieces.

Medaldo L. Loria, 56, owner of engineering firm

Medaldo L. Loria, owner of an Ellicott City engineering firm, died of a heart attack Sunday at Franklin Square Hospital Center. He was 56 and lived in Perry Hall.

He founded Loria Engineering Co. in 1988 after leaving the Howard County Department of Public Works, where he had been an engineer since 1973.

Born and raised in the Philippines, he graduated from the Mapua Institute of Technology with a bachelor's degree in civil engineering in 1966, then joined the public works agency in Manila. He came to Baltimore in 1971.

In 1974, he married Nieva Burce, also of the Philippines.

He was a member and past treasurer of the Katipunan, a Filipino-American civic and cultural organization.

He was a communicant of St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church in Fullerton, 8420 Belair Road, where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at noon today.

In addition to his wife, survivors include a son, Rommel Loria of Perry Hall; a daughter, Melissa Loria, a student at Boston University; his father, Pedro Loria of New York City; a brother, Maximo Loria of Daraga, Philippines; eight sisters, Fe Agatep, Lina Estrada, Milagros Ozarraga and Betty Jocson, all of Manila, and Lily Loria, Irene Loria, Azucena Loria and Elvira Loria, all of New York City; and a niece.

Nancy Lee Parker, 55, state revenue examiner

Nancy Lee Parker, a Maryland revenue examiner, died of a brain hemorrhage Saturday at University of Maryland Medical Center. The Grasonville resident was 55.

She had worked in the state comptroller's office for the past 22 years. Earlier, she was employed in the accounting department of the University of Maryland Baltimore County and the former W. T. Grant Co.

The former Nancy Lee Kelly, who was born in Morgantown, W.Va., and later moved to Baltimore, graduated from Western High School in 1959.

In 1960, she married Jason W. Parker Sr., vice president of Parker Fuel Co., who survives her.

She was active in Chapter 1696 of Women of the Moose Lodge No. 831 in Grasonville, did needlework and collected porcelain dolls.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. today at Fellows, Helfenbein & Newnam Funeral Home, 106 Shamrock Road, Chester.

Other survivors include a son, Jason W. Parker Jr. of Glen Burnie; a daughter, Dawn E. Thomas of Crofton; a brother, Rick Kelly of Hanover; two sisters, Toni Bratt of Laurel and Debra Everett of Linthicum; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Dr. Harold Ray Johnson, 70, retired surgeon

Dr. Harold Ray Johnson, a retired surgeon, died in his sleep Saturday at home in the Ashburton section of Baltimore. He was 70.

Dr. Johnson, who retired in 1986 after nearly 30 years as a surgeon, was on the staff at the old Provident and Lutheran hospitals, and at Bon Secours and Johns Hopkins hospitals.

"When he retired he saw no patients and gave no medical advice. That was it," said his wife of 49 years, the former Mary M. Adkins, whom he met when they were students at Hampton Institute.

Dr. Johnson was born in Winston-Salem, N.C., and graduated from high school there. He served in the Army from 1945 to 1946 and was discharged with the rank of corporal.

He earned a bachelor's degree from Hampton in 1948 and completed graduate studies in biochemistry at Howard University. He earned a medical degree from Meharry Medical College in 1955.

He completed an internship at Community Hospital in Reading, Pa., in 1956 and a surgical residency at Fort Howard Veterans Hospital in 1960.

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.