Mount Airy man's trial on rape charges begins 15-year-old acquaintance recounts events of night of alleged August attack

March 25, 1997|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,SUN STAFF

The trial of a Mount Airy man accused of raping and assaulting a 15-year-old acquaintance last summer began yesterday with the girl telling a Carroll County jury how the man bit her several times during the attack.

The defendant, Ronald E. Muller, 20, who then lived in the 6300 block of Davis Road, sat calmly as prosecutor Jerry Joyce asked the girl to tell what happened early Aug. 31.

The girl said she received a phone call from a male friend with whom Muller lived, asking her to meet them, and sneaked out a window of her home about 2: 05 a.m. Aug. 31.

She testified that she was surprised to find that Muller was alone and driving her friend's car.

She said that he told her they were going to the friend's home on Davis Road but that he turned off on Gillis Falls Road and drove to an area known as Eyler's Field where he sexually assaulted her before driving her home about 5 a.m.

The girl said she was embarrassed to tell her mother that she had been raped.

Under cross-examination from Michael O. Ramsey, a Baltimore attorney representing Muller, the girl said she lied at first, telling her mother she had fallen down the stairs when asked the next morning about bruises on her arms, legs and breast.

The girl said she told two friends she had been raped and eventually told her mother about the incident about 4 p.m. Sept. 1.

The girl said police were notified Sept. 2 and she was examined by a doctor at the hospital on Wednesday, Sept. 3.

In opening statements, Ramsey said medical reports will show that no signs of trauma existed such as one would expect if a person had been raped and sodomized.

Medical evidence has not been introduced in the trial, which is expected to last until Thursday.

The state's next witness, the girl's teen-age friend with whom Muller lived at the time, told the jury that he lied in a written statement given police Sept. 3 when he denied that Muller had used his car.

The boy, now 17, told the jury that his statement of Sept. 6 to police, saying that Muller took his car the night of the alleged rape, was the truth.

The youth said he was severely beaten about three weeks ago by three of Muller's friends, but under cross-examination, the boy admitted he had no proof that Muller ordered him beaten.

Under cross-examination, the boy said that he had had sex with the girl once when she stayed overnight at his house.

The girl denied ever having sex with the teen, and his mother testified that she was not aware that the alleged rape victim had ever spent the night at her house.

The mother said she had seen the girl, Muller and her son smoking marijuana in the back yard.

Her son had told the jury that his mother had never seen him or his friends smoking marijuana.

The mother is not being named to protect the identity of her juvenile son.

The trial before Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. is to resume today.

Pub Date: 3/25/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.