Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public...

Tax questions

March 25, 1997

Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through April 15.

Q: My husband and I have two children and our total income was $22,500 in 1996. Do we qualify for the Earned Income Credit?

A: Yes, the Earned Income Credit (EIC) is a tax provision that reduces the tax burden on low- and moderate-income workers. In fact, you qualify for both the federal and the Maryland EIC. Using the EIC table in the instruction booklet for Form 1040 or 1040A, you can see that you qualify for a federal EIC of $1,257. Based on this, you qualify for a Maryland EIC of half that amount, or $628.50, which you can claim using Maryland Form 503 or 502. Taxpayers with questions about the EIC can call 800-492-0618.

The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

To ask a tax question, call Sundial at 410-783-1800. Call 268-7736 in Anne Arundel County, 836-5028 in Harford County and 848-0338 in Carroll County. Using a Touch-Tone phone, punch in the four-digit code 6225 after you hear the greeting.

Readers also can e-mail questions through The Sun's Web site --

Selected questions will be answered in the Business section. No questions will be answered by phone.

Pub Date: 3/25/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.