Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public...

Tax questions

March 21, 1997

Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through April 15.

Q: I am a 60-year-old U.S. citizen who receives social security from Germany. My wife's and my gross income is over $44,000. Is the money I receive from Germany taxable?

A: According to the Income Tax Treaty with Germany, the social security benefits received from Germany by a U.S. citizen would be treated the same for tax purposes as social security benefits from the United States would be taxed.

The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

To ask a tax question, call Sundial at 410-783-1800. Call 268-7736 in Anne Arundel County, 836-5028 in Harford County and 848-0338 in Carroll County. Using a Touch-Tone phone, punch in the four-digit code 6225 after you hear the greeting.

Readers also can e-mail questions through The Sun's Web site --

Selected questions will be answered in the Business section. No questions will be answered by phone.

Pub Date: 3/21/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.