Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public...

Tax questions

March 11, 1997

Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through April 15.

Q: I made a total of $11,509.75, and no taxes were withheld. My status is married/separated. Do I have to file a state and federal return?

A. Yes, you must file both a federal and Maryland tax return. Generally, the requirements to file differ for the federal and state returns and depend on a number of factors that include filing status, age and type and amount of gross income. (The gross income amount is adjusted annually for inflation). For taxpayers using the married filing separately status, they must file both a federal and Maryland tax return if their gross income was at least $2,550. Also, if one spouse itemizes deductions, the other cannot use the standard deduction. There are a number of other issues that might need to be considered in your circumstances, including whether or not your income is self-employment income, if you paid for medical insurance and whether you provided a home for a child.

The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

To ask a tax question, call Sundial at (410) 783-1800. Call 268-7736 in Anne Arundel County, 836-5028 in Harford County and 848-0338 in Carroll County. Using a Touch-Tone phone, punch in the four-digit code 6225 after you hear the greeting.

Readers also can e-mail questions through The Sun's Web site --

Selected questions will be answered in the Business section. No questions will be answered by phone.

Pub Date: 3/11/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.