Fallston finds way to win, 50-49, in overtime Free throws are difference as Cougars nip Wright

Class 2A/Girls basketball

March 07, 1997|By Mark Hoeflich | Mark Hoeflich,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Fallston's girls basketball team has been here before -- the regional semifinals. But in many ways, this season is different.

Foremost, the Cougars don't have nearly the skill and experience of some of their more dominant Class 2A teams of the early 1990s. And this year's group hardly has the same scoring power or defensive prowess.

Still, one thing remains the same: Fallston knows how to win the big games. Behind a game-high 15 points and 11 rebounds from senior forward Karen Tiedemann, the No. 18 Cougars (20-8) outlasted host C. Milton Wright, 50-49, in overtime yesterday in a Class 3A North region semifinal.

Fallston next faces Woodlawn in tomorrow's regional final and has a chance at clinching its fifth appearance in the final four in the last six years.

"Our kids just played their hearts out," Fallston coach Nancy Ferguson said. "They [C.M. Wright] played us tough last month, and this rivalry is so strong, it doesn't matter what each team has."

Junior guard Jamie Gerhart led C.M. Wright with 12 points.

In the overtime period, the difference didn't develop until the final 2: 24, when Lacey Anzelc broke a 47-47 tie with a jumper from the top of the key that put the Cougars ahead for good, 49-47.

The Mustangs (10-11) had a chance at an early lead in overtime, but Betsy Blom missed two free throws. C.M. Wright then got a second chance to tie the game with less then a minute left to play, only to have Kiafa Harden miss a crucial free throw.

"It came down to free throws, and if we made a free throw here or there, we might have won," C.M. Wright coach John Harvey said.

Fallston struggled mightily in victory, though, finishing the game with 25 turnovers, and in both the third and fourth quarters, the Cougars went nearly four minutes without a field goal.

Trailing by eight midway through the third quarter, the Mustangs never let up. While holding Tiedemann scoreless for the first 15 minutes of the second half, C.M. Wright used a 10-2 run to lead 34-33 after a layup by Nicole Nimmo with 5: 38 left in regulation.

A three-pointer and a put-back by Rachel Sappington then gave the Mustangs their largest lead at 41-36 with 2: 12 remaining.

One tie and two lead changes occurred in the final, frantic two minutes of regulation, before a free throw by Harden with 1.7 seconds left tied the game at 43 and forced overtime.

"The third quarter has been a difficult one for us all year, but I told the girls at halftime, if we could be patient and run the clock, we could come back. And we did," Harvey said.

Pub Date: 3/07/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.