Wilde Lake scares Central, but champs dominate in end 13-0 run as final quarter opens snuffs 'Cats' hopes

Class 2A/Boys basketball

March 06, 1997|By John Harris III | John Harris III,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

FOREST HEIGHTS -- For three quarters during last night's Class 2A South region semifinal, Wilde Lake seemed like it had forgotten who, and where, it was playing.

The Wildecats found themselves ahead going into the final period against defending state champion Central and had succeeded in putting creases of frustration on the faces of the Falcons players, coaching staff and fans.

Sadly enough for Wilde Lake, however, those ruffled brows soon turned to smiles and confident grins, as Central used its superior athleticism and talent to pull out a 67-57 win.

The Falcons (16-9) now move on to the region final Friday against Surrattsville, a 63-43 winner last night over Lackey.

Host Central used an 13-0 run during the opening 3 1/2 minutes of the fourth quarter to deliver the knockout punch. With the Wildecats clinging to a 38-37 lead, the inside tandem of 6-foot 6-inchers Wayne Jackson and Chuck Alston, along with point guard Terrance Watford, enabled Central to take a commanding 50-38 lead with 4: 28 left to play.

Jackson scored six points in the spurt on put-backs, while Alston and Watford added four and three points, respectively.

"What can you say? We lost to a real good ballclub," said Wilde Lake coach Lester Clay, whose team ended its season 10-12. "They just had too many horses down low. We came to play, and for three quarters we played very well. We just weren't able to hold on."

C.J. Adams led the Wildecats to a 32-24 halftime advantage, capping off a 12-point half with a 35-foot three-point shot at the buzzer.

Adams, who finished with a game-high 25 points to with five rebounds, led a counter attacking offense that forced the issue on their opponents defensive miscues. He also received help from Tim Hawkins (eight points, four rebounds) Barrett Wrogg and Derek Bell, who all scored four points each during the first half.

"I told him just because they had the big swatters down low, don't be afraid to take it to the basket," said Clay. "He has the athletic skills."

A three-pointer by Quentin Collins (six points) drew Wilde Lake to within seven at 56-49, but two free throws from Watford (team-high 20 points) and a thunderous two-handed dunk by Jackson (16 points, nine rebounds, three blocked shots) put the winners back up by 11 with 2 minutes left.

Pub Date: 3/06/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.