Georgetown shocks Syracuse, 14-9 No. 8 Hoyas control ball and No. 2 Orangemen for 1st win over Top 10 team

March 06, 1997|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

WASHINGTON -- The packed crowd chanted, "We want Princeton!" The players talked about breaking into the group of elite lacrosse teams.

Yes, Georgetown has arrived.

Executing a slow-down attack to near perfection, the No. 8 Hoyas stunned No. 2 Syracuse, 14-9, before 1,869 at Kehoe Field yesterday. Greg Hubschmann and Andy Flick, who have played in a combined eight college games, each scored four goals for Georgetown, and Greg McCavera added three goals and two assists.

It was the first victory over a Top 10 team for the Hoyas (2-0), who have their highest ranking in school history.

"It takes us to another level," said Georgetown goalkeeper Brian Hole, who made 18 saves. "When you think of Syracuse, you think of one of the perennial teams year after year. It's unbelievable to associate ourselves with that hierarchy of lacrosse programs."

It was the biggest margin of defeat in two years for the Orangemen (1-1), who were held to single digits for just the fourth time in 60 games and the sixth time in 138 games. And it came five days since the Orangemen scored 22 times in a one-goal win over Virginia.

The Hoyas contained the high-scoring Orangemen by simply keeping the ball out of their sticks, winning every possession battle.

Faceoffs: Georgetown 17, Syracuse 8. Ground balls: Hoyas 36, Orangemen 26.

"They exposed our soft spot, and that's faceoffs," Syracuse coach Roy Simmons said. "They picked up the ground balls and held it. We have a high-powered offense but they didn't get the ball. We'll be all right."

Georgetown also made few mistakes, failing to clear the ball out of its defensive end only once in 21 attempts.

"The idea was to control the tempo," Georgetown coach Dave Urick said. "We couldn't get into a track meet with them. Virginia can do that. We can't."

Passing the ball mostly 20 yards away from the goal, Georgetown waited for its opportunities while frustrating Syracuse's fast-break attack. And when the Orangemen ran, it usually resulted in a wild shot or an overthrown pass.

Hubschmann, a junior midfielder who was a walk-on last year after being cut as a freshman, broke down the Orangemen defense early, scoring twice off dodges as the Hoyas went ahead 4-0 six minutes into the game. Syracuse slowly came back to 6-4 when Casey Powell scored from the left wing five seconds before halftime.

However, the Hoyas won the first three faceoffs of the second half, and the Syracuse attack had the ball just once in the first 11 minutes. By that time, freshman attackman Flick had scored two goals in a 3-0 run to increase Georgetown's lead to 9-4.

Syracuse closed the deficit to 11-7 when Doug Jackson scored off an assist from Powell in the opening minute of the fourth quarter. But four minutes later, McCavera scored twice by easily outrunning his defenders for open shots to put the Hoyas ahead 13-7 and seal the victory.

Unlike last year when Syracuse came back from three goals down in the fourth quarter to beat Georgetown at the Carrier Dome, the Hoyas seemed to be the team with more stamina.

"We felt good," McCavera said. "Last year at the dome, we could feel our legs cramping up. But our legs felt great today. I never doubted us. We said at halftime that we had a full tank and they were at three-quarters."

Pub Date: 3/06/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.