Frank A. Rose, 68, engraver, brick masonFrank A. Rose, who...

March 06, 1997

Frank A. Rose, 68, engraver, brick mason

Frank A. Rose, who had been a brick mason, assembly-line worker and engraver, died of complications from surgery for an aneurysm Feb. 2 at the Veterans Administration Hospital in Baltimore. The Rockdale resident was 68.

He retired in 1991 from Precision Engraving, which he and a son, Frank A. Rose Jr. of Shrewsbury, Pa., joined in 1988.

Earlier, he worked for another engraving firm in Baltimore; spent 20 years at the old Proctor Silex plant in Arbutus, where he was an assembly-line worker and supervisor; was a brick mason with his father, and served in the Army from 1945 to 1953.

Funeral services for the Boston native were held Feb 6.

He is survived by his wife, the former Ann Marie Kreis, whom he married in 1964; three daughters, Eveline Miers of De Ridder, La., Linda Patzwall of Baltimore, and Jennifer Downer of Midwest City, Okla.; and another son, Steven Rose of Baltimore. Martha A. Heiss, an artist who painted landscapes and still lifes, died of complications of a blood disorder Saturday at the Ginger Cove Retirement Community in Annapolis. She was 83.

Before moving to the retirement community in 1988, Mrs. Heiss lived in Sherwood Forest near Annapolis for many years.

She painted in acrylics, oils and watercolors and exhibited locally in several Annapolis galleries and at Ginger Cove.

The former Martha Furr was born in Washington and studied at the Corcoran School of Art there.

She worked for the Social Security Administration, then housed in Baltimore's Candler Building, from 1938 to 1939, when she married Louis R. Heiss, a sales representative and engineer who died in 1995.

She was a member of the Maryland Federation of Art and the Ginger Cove Health Center Auxiliary and was a volunteer with the American Red Cross Bloodmobile.

She was a member of the United Church of Christ in Annapolis.

A memorial reception will be held at 1 p.m. Saturday at Ginger Cove, 4000 River Crescent Drive.

She is survived by two sons, Andrew M. Heiss of Columbia and Michael J. Heiss of Catonsville.

Ophelia B. Harrison, 92, beautician, teacher

Ophelia B. Harrison, a former Baltimore beautician who had lived in New York City since 1990, died Saturday at St. Luke-Roosevelt Hospital. She was 92.

Mrs. Harrison, who had lived in Northwest Baltimore for 40 years, owned and operated Apex Beauty Salon on Baker Street in the early 1950s. Earlier, she had taught in city elementary schools.

She was born Ophelia Buttler in Baltimore, earned a bachelor's degree from Towson State Normal School in 1926 and graduated from Apex Beauty College.

In Baltimore, she was a communicant and lay minister at St. Edward Roman Catholic Church on Poplar Grove Street.

A Mass of Christian burial was offered yesterday in New York. Plans for a memorial Mass in Baltimore are incomplete.

She married Alfred E. Harrison in the 1920s, and he died in 1982. She is survived by two daughters, Joan Harrison Mendez of New York and Henrietta Brown of Trenton, N.J.; two grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

Leonard F. Butta, 81, Worked for Evening Sun

Leonard F. Butta, a retired sports makeup editor for The Evening Sun, died of kidney failure yesterday at Good Samaritan Hospital. He was 81 and lived in Northeast Baltimore.

Mr. Butta, who was born and raised in Little Italy, joined the newspaper as a copy boy in 1930. He retired in 1976.

During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe and earned four combat stars. He was discharged as a staff sergeant in 1945.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Shrine of the Little Flower Roman Catholic Church, 3500 Belair Road.

He is survived by a sister and brother-in-law, Dorothy and William Wedra of Baltimore; and a nephew, Joseph P. Butta of Perry Hall.

Kevin Domneys, 32, Holiday Inn employee

Services for Kevin Domneys, who worked in the banquet department at the downtown Holiday Inn, will be held at noon todayat the Nutter Funeral Home, 2501 Gwynn Falls Parkway.

Mr. Domneys, who was 32 and lived in Northeast Baltimore, was fatally stabbed near his residence in the Parkside Gardens Apartments Friday.

The Baltimore native had worked at the hotel since 1990, family members said.

Previously, he was a ticket agent at the Newark International Airport in New Jersey for five years.

He was a 1983 graduate of Robert Walsh Business College in Union, N.J.

He is survived by his parents, James Domneys of Baltimore and Barbara Wilson of Newark; three brothers, James Domneys Jr., Robert Domneys and Wyhidi Wilson, all of Newark; and a sister, Deborah Domneys of Baltimore.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.