Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public...

Tax questions

March 06, 1997

Members of the Maryland Association of Certified Public Accountants are answering readers' tax questions through April 15.

Q: I live in Baltimore County but I worked out-of-state for my company in Delaware. About 50 percent of my income was taxed to Delaware, and 50 percent to Maryland. I'd like to know how to get that money back. Do I have to file a complete income tax return for the State of Delaware?

A.Yes. Delaware is the only state bordering on Maryland that does not have a reciprocal wage agreement with Maryland. This means the wages are taxable both in Maryland and Delaware. You need to file an income tax return for Delaware showing those wages. To the extent there is a tax liability in Delaware, you can claim a credit on your Maryland tax return by filing Form 502CR. This generally eliminates double taxation.

Q: How do you handle a person who is mentally and physically unable to sign his income tax form?

A: If a person is both mentally and physically unable to sign a tax form, an attorney should be consulted to take the legal steps necessary to establish guardianship. If a person is only physically incapable, a power of attorney would give authority for someone to sign on their behalf. Be sure to plan ahead and take the appropriate steps early.

The above advice is for general purposes only and is not intended as legal, accounting or tax advice. Specific situations may vary.

To ask a tax question, call Sundial at (410) 783-1800. Call 268-7736 in Anne Arundel County, 836-5028 in Harford County and 848-0338 in Carroll County. Using a Touch-Tone phone, punch in the four-digit code 6225 after you hear the greeting.

Readers also can e-mail questions through The Sun's Web site --

Selected questions will be answered in the Business section. No questions will be answered by phone.

Pub Date: 3/06/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.