Man found dead in Glenelg was suicide, authorities say Victim, 22, was discovered near Folly Quarter Road the afternoon of Feb. 21

March 04, 1997|By Jill Hudson | Jill Hudson,SUN STAFF Sun staff writers Edward Lee and Dan Morse contributed to this article.

The death of a man whose body was found along Folly Quarter Road in Glenelg last month has been declared a suicide by the Howard County police and the state medical examiner's office.

Sgt. Steven Keller, a police spokesman, said the 22-year-old Columbia man apparently shot himself in the face with a 12-gauge shotgun the afternoon of Feb. 21.

The body was found -- reportedly by a passing school bus driver -- next to some large wooden cable spools just off the road.

During the past week or more, the incident has led to widespread rumors in the county regarding the discovery of a supposedly decapitated body. Police released no details until questioned about the incident by The Sun yesterday.

"There is no evidence of foul play in this case, and it appears that the man died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound," Keller said, explaining that police do not routinely publicize suicides.

Sun policy is to not report suicides unless they are noteworthy or public. In keeping with that policy, the dead man's name is not being printed here.

Keller said that about 3: 30 p.m. police responded to a 911 call about a body in the 12300 block of Folly Quarter Road, near Homewood Road.

Detectives from the Violent Crimes Unit said the man left a suicide note, which was found at his home or in his car, Keller said. The car was parked on Folly Quarter Road near the body.

The body was within walking distance of the Franciscan Friars monastery and about a mile from Glenelg Country School, Keller said, but was not easily seen from the road.

"There are no homes immediately adjacent to the place where the body was found," he said. "He went to a rural stretch of road, and he didn't do it in front of anyone's house."

The section of Folly Quarter Road where the body was found is, for the most part, lined with trees. The body was in a wide clearing about 50 feet from the road near four large wooden spools used by Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. to store power lines used for electrical work in the area.

A school bus driver saw the body and pulled into the nearby monastery, said monastery staff member Susan Reisinger, who called police. The bus driver could not be reached for comment yesterday.

That day, police declared the death a suicide. The state medical examiner's office agreed the next day, though an autopsy report has not been filed.

"The cause of death was a contact shotgun wound of the head, and the manner of death was suicide," said Dr. John Smialek, chief medical examiner.

Yesterday, rain and mud washed over two bouquets of flowers laid at the base of one of the spools. One bouquet contained a small note, which began: "I can't begin to tell you how much you are missed by all of us "

Pub Date: 3/04/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.