Baltimore firefighters were busy yesterday battling two fires -- one that prompted a dramatic rescue of three people trapped on the second floor of a rowhouse and another that started when three young children were left home alone.
The latest blaze broke out about 2: 30 p.m. in a rowhouse in the 200 block of S. Mount St. in Southwest Baltimore.
Fire Department spokesman Battalion Chief Hector L. Torres said the mother of the children, ages 3, 5 and 10, left them at home with their aunt. The aunt then left the house, leaving a pot of food cooking on the stove, which sparked the fire. The 10-year-old ran to a corner store to get help and the store owner helped the children escape without injury.
Torres said the fire caused an estimated $40,000 worth of damage to the rowhouse and damaged a vacant dwelling next door.
He said the children were being cared for by the city Department of Social Services. Police were searching for the aunt last night and could file charges, Torres said.
Names of the children and aunt were not available.
The other fire was reported about 12: 10 p.m. in a rowhouse in the 2500 block of W. Fairmount Ave.
Fire officials said it started in the basement. Torres said residents Betty Lucky, in her 30s, and Sara Lucky, 63, discovered the fire and went upstairs to help Ellis Wilson, 88. "All three ended up trapped on the second floor," Torres said.
City police officers arrived at the house first, but could not get inside. "The smoke was unbelievably thick," said Southwestern District Officer David Azus.
Azus and Officers Frank Jarrell, Ernest Coppage and Raymond Cook helped firefighters rescue the trio by ladders from the burning building. Wilson and the elder Lucky were being treated for smoke inhalation at Maryland Shock Trauma Center, but fire officials said their injuries did not appear to be serious. Betty Lucky refused treatment.
The fire was under investigation last night, but Torres said it not appear to be suspicious. Damage was estimated at $15,000.
Pub Date: 3/04/97