Sluggish Navy halts Washington College Four extra-man goals save day for Mids, 7-6

February 27, 1997|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Watching his attack in the fourth quarter, Navy lacrosse coach Richie Meade could only take off his hat and scratch his head.

It's been that type of a season already for the stagnant Midshipmen offense.

Struggling in its set attack, Navy needed four extra-man goals to hold off Division III Washington College, 7-6, last night in front of a chilled crowd of 744 at Rip Miller Field in Annapolis.

The Midshipmen (2-0) have won 41 of the 43 meetings with the Shoremen. Washington College (0-1), which lost by eight goals to Navy last season, was playing in its first game since falling in last season's Division III championship game.

"Offensively, we're struggling because we're playing a lot of people and they aren't in a rhythm yet," Meade said. "I think we'll be OK. If we shot better tonight, it might have been a different story."

But Navy didn't. And it almost allowed the Shoremen to win their first game in this series in 12 years.

After going scoreless for nearly 31 minutes, Washington College erupted for four goals in the fourth quarter.

However, the Midshipmen answered the first two goals to take a 7-4 lead with 12: 01 left in the game. But Navy wouldn't score again and Washington College slowly chipped away at that margin.

Shoremen attackman Andy Lopatin short-hopped the ball past Navy goalkeeper Mickey Jarboe with 7: 26 left in the game to cut the score to 7-5. Washington College then reduced the deficit to one, for the first time since late in the first half, when George Atterbury blasted a high 10-yard shot with 44 seconds remaining.

Marc Taylorson won the ensuing faceoff for the Shoremen, who took two shots in trying to tie the game. The last one -- taken out front by Owen Mulhern -- was deflected by Jarboe, who immediately scooped it up just outside the crease and threw it to the other side as time expired.

Jarboe, a freshman who played backup in his final two years at Calvert Hall, had 19 saves.

"We didn't play like we're capable of playing," Washington coach John Haus said. "The biggest thing is we didn't give up. We never stopped playing."

Washington College jumped to a 2-0 first-quarter lead on goals by Atterbury and Adam Bond. Navy, which only had two assisted goals, tied the game at 2 as Scott Meushaw and Brad Gilroy converted extra-man goals in the first eight minutes of the second quarter.

After Midshipmen midfielder Jason Hull powered a shot in from 15 yards out, Navy again tagged two man-up goals to pull out to a 5-2 margin midway in the third.

Washington College proved resilient throughout the game as it outshot the Mids 37-30, including 14-4 in the fourth quarter. The Shoremen also won the ground-ball battle, 40-25.

It's not the showing Navy needed with No. 7 North Carolina coming to town on Sunday.

"We know we can win close games," said Meade, whose team beat UMBC, 11-10, Saturday.

Pub Date: 2/27/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.