Paul J. Kilduff, 74, owned tread repair firmPaul J...

February 19, 1997

Paul J. Kilduff, 74, owned tread repair firm

Paul J. Kilduff, who had owned a company that repaired the heavy metal treads of bulldozers and similar vehicles, died of a brain tumor Sunday at his Bel Air home. He was 74.

Mr. Kilduff, who was known as Duffy, was the owner of Sav-A-Roll Inc., a business he purchased in 1968 and moved from Virginia to Capitol Heights.

"The undercarriage repair business, in addition to replacing treads, also handles drive-train repairs and the replacement of rollers and sprockets," said a son, Gregory M. Kilduff of Kingsville.

Paul Kilduff sold the business in 1993 and retired.

He first became acquainted with the repair business when he worked for a tractor firm before World War II. During the war, he served in the Navy as a machinist's mate aboard landing craft in the Pacific.

He returned to Alban after being discharged in 1945 and worked for Tru-Roll Co. during the 1950s before he bought his company.

The 40-year resident of Bel Air was an avid Colts fan and counted as one of his life's highlights his attendance at the famous Colt-Giants encounter for the 1958 National Football League championship in New York.

He also liked to drive his black 1932 Model A Ford Tudor coupe, which he and a son restored. He and his car were an annual feature of the Kingsville Fourth of July Parade.

Mr. Kilduff was born and raised in East Baltimore and attended City College. He earned a General Educational Development diploma.

He was a communicant of St. Ignatius Roman Catholic Church, 533 E. Jarrettsville Road in Forest Hill, where a Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. today.

He is survived by his wife of 49 years, the former Maria J. Blick; two other sons, Paul T. Kilduff of Baltimore and Christopher A. Kilduff of White Hall; and five grandchildren.

Caroline R. James, 93, private-duty nurse

Caroline R. "Carrie" James, a former private-duty nurse who worked for many prominent Baltimore families, died Feb. 12 from complications of a broken hip at Corsica Hills Nursing Home in Centreville. She was 93.

The former Caroline Rogers was born and raised in Frederick and was a 1923 graduate of Union Memorial Hospital School of Nursing.

One of her patients in the 1930s was Sara Haardt Mencken, the terminally ill wife of Baltimore journalist H. L. Mencken. "She always remembered Mr. Mencken's sense of humor in the face of the sad fact that their marriage would end in tragedy," recalled Alice Baldwin, the widow of a stepson of Mrs. James.

In 1947, she married C. Macgill James, assistant director of the National Gallery of Art, and they lived in Washington except for two years when he was curator of Biltmore, the historic George Vanderbilt mansion near Asheville, N.C. Mr. James died in 1982.

Graveside services for Mrs. James will be held at 11 a.m. Saturday at St. Thomas Episcopal Church Cemetery, 232 St. Thomas Lane, Owings Mills.

She is survived by a sister-in-law, Amelia Fisher Rogers of Baltimore; and nine grandchildren.

Pub Date: 2/19/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.