Wife thinks spouse is dead, seeks his body But county police not sure, suspect gambling involved

February 18, 1997|By Kris Antonelli | Kris Antonelli,SUN STAFF

Cynthia Demyon is sure her husband, who has been missing for more than a month, is dead -- and all she wants is to end the search for his remains.

"Anyone who knows where my husband's body is, I want them to know I want it," said Demyon, 37, of Stewartstown, Pa. "Just put it somewhere where we can get it."

But Sgt. Kevin B. Novak, Baltimore County police spokesman, said detectives are not sure what has happened to Thomas Gregory Demyon, 47, last seen Jan. 13 wearing a green jacket and tan slacks and driving a 1989 dark blue Pontiac Bonneville with Maryland license plates SCN 797.

According to police, Demyon often gambled in Las Vegas and Atlantic City and at horse racetracks. Investigators believe that he is in debt to several of his gambling associates.

But his wife said that is not related to his disappearance.

"My husband did gamble, but that had nothing to do with this," she said. "There were no debts big enough for someone to want to get rid of him."

Mrs. Demyon said she last saw her husband about 6: 15 p.m. Jan. 13. They were staying at Mr. Demyon's late father's condominium in Cockeysville when her husband received an emergency call on his pager, seemingly from his lawyer, John A. Austin of Towson.

Because the father -- Thomas R. Demyon -- had been hospitalized before his death Jan. 1, the phone in the condominium had been disconnected. The younger Mr. Demyon went to the Days Inn on Timonium Road to make the call from a pay phone, according to Baltimore County police and Mrs. Demyon.

"It's not like he didn't plan on coming back," she said. "He had taken his shirt off for the evening, and when he got paged, he just put his jacket on over his bare chest and zipped it up. He didn't even have his [dental] partial in."

According to Austin, he never paged her husband that evening, although he did find a message from his client on his answering machine the next day. He said it did not seem unreasonable to believe that he is dead.

"Both Mr. Demyon and the car he was driving have disappeared without a trace," Austin said. "But I don't know who would have the desire to get him out of the way."

Austin said he began representing Mr. Demyon in early December when the father -- who was the majority stockholder of Safety-Sight Inc., the family business in Cockeysville -- became ill after a stroke. Austin was working to set up a guardianship for the elder Mr. Demyon. His son and at least two other people are minority stockholders in the business, which makes a glass tool that allows a radiator's water level to be checked without injury.

Austin said a Baltimore County judge declared the elder Mr. Demyon's will invalid Friday and that it might be months before the legalities of his estate are untangled.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 887-2198.

Pub Date: 2/18/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.