Broadneck tips Annapolis for 2nd time, 56-53 Bruins near division title, nearly eliminate Panthers

February 15, 1997|By Pat O'Malley | Pat O'Malley,SUN STAFF

Down on one knee in front of his team's bench with seven seconds remaining, Broadneck coach Ken Kazmarek began patting and rubbing the floor in front of him as if writing in the sand.

It was a moment of ecstatic reflection, knowing his Bruins were about to defeat Annapolis for the second time in a season for the first time in his 13 years at the Cape St. Claire school.

The No. 8 Bruins (16-4) held on for a 56-53 victory with their senior leader, John Williams, scoring a game-high 22 points to virtually eliminate No. 9 Annapolis (15-5) from a shot at the county championship game on Feb. 25.

Broadneck is 7-1 in the North Division with two regular-season games left and can clinch a berth in the county championship game with a win over No. 10 Arundel (16-4) at Anne Arundel Community College Tuesday.

With its victory over Severna Park last night, Arundel is 6-2 and in second place with Annapolis (also 6-2) in the division.

"It's not easy to beat them once, let alone twice in the same season," said Kazmarek, whose Bruins blew out the Panthers, 55-38, at AACC earlier. "And beating them at full strength and on their home court has got to make you feel pretty good. They're a quality team and well-coached."

In a nip-and-tuck contest, Broadneck had the only big lead of the game in the third period by 35-28, but the Panthers rode a couple three-pointers by Todd Nicolini and a leaner by Brian Barber to take a 42-39 lead by the end of the third.

Barber and Nicolini had 15 points each for Annapolis, and Boo Diggs tossed in 11, but the Bruins did what they had to down the stretch.

The two teams traded three-point plays in the final 2: 16, resulting in the third and final tie of the period at 53. Williams drove on Barber (game-high 10 rebounds), made the left-handed lay-in and was fouled. It was Barber's fifth.

Williams then sank the free throw for a 53-50 Broadneck lead, but Diggs went one-on-one with Noble Watkins on the other end, put in the basket and drew the foul. Diggs got all nylon to tie the game at 53 with 2: 01 left.

A short jumper by Watkins (14 points, five rebounds) gave Broadneck a 55-53 lead with just over a minute on the clock.

After Annapolis called a timeout, the Panthers lost the ball and fouled Watkins during the scramble.

With seven seconds left, Watkins sank the front end of two free throws to make it 56-53 Broadneck but missed the second, with Diggs grabbing the rebound and pushing it up court before a Panther timeout with four seconds left.

Scott Raspa, who didn't score all night, tried a three-pointer from the corner, but missed.

Pub Date: 2/15/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.