Family again left homeless after fire destroys dwelling

February 14, 1997|By Mike Farabaugh | Mike Farabaugh,SUN STAFF

A Carroll County family was left homeless yesterday for the second time in two months after a three-alarm fire heavily damaged a farmhouse near Manchester.

Gilda Hogan, 50, and her children, 21 and 15 years old, have been staying with David Solomon, 49, in the 4200 block of Maple Grove Road while her husband, Russell Hogan, 55, recovers from burns he suffered when the family home near Lineboro caught fire in December, said W. Faron Taylor, deputy state fire marshal.

"The cause of [yesterday's] fire is still under investigation, but it does not appear suspicious," Taylor said.

Hogan and Solomon discovered the fire in the 2 1/2 -story wood-frame and log house at 12: 04 p.m. when they saw smoke through a window that overlooks the front porch -- where investigators say the fire began.

"Flames got into the walls and spread quickly to the attic," said Donnie Nott, deputy chief of Manchester Fire Engine & Hook & Ladder Company No. 1. "The fire in the log portion was especially difficult to reach," he said.

Nott said the second alarm was called to bring in extra water and the third alarm was for additional manpower. About 50 firefighters from Carroll and Baltimore counties and York County in Pennsylvania controlled the blaze in about two hours.

A Manchester firefighter suffered a minor eye injury and a Hampstead firefighter suffered minor burns on the chin and hand, Taylor said. Both were treated at the scene.

Mr. Hogan suffered second- and third-degree burns over 90 percent of his body Dec. 23 when vapors from a solvent he was using to strip wax from a kitchen floor ignited after a family member turned on a gas stove about 6: 30 p.m., state fire marshals said.

He is recovering at Baltimore Regional Burn Center at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Taylor said.

Mrs. Hogan and the children are being assisted by the American Red Cross and Solomon has friends and family in the area, Taylor said.

Damage to Solomon's house was estimated at $70,000, fire marshals said.

Pub Date: 2/14/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.