Anthony J. Cavas, 57, head of paper companyAnthony J...

February 13, 1997

Anthony J. Cavas, 57, head of paper company

Anthony J. Cavas, president of a paper and packaging company in Cross Keys, died of a heart attack Jan. 30 in a Philadelphia hotel while on a business trip. He was 57 and lived in the Ruxton area.

He had worked for Wood Inc. since 1966, rising from salesman to president.

Born and raised in High Point, N.C., Mr. Cavas graduated from the University of North Carolina with a degree in business administration in 1961 and joined the Navy, rising to lieutenant junior grade. In 1966, after he was discharged, he went to work for Wood.

In 1965, he married Tasia W. Vlassis, whom he had met while stationed at Fort McHenry.

He was a lifetime member of the University of North Carolina Alumni Association and was a member of the Institute of Packing Professionals.

For the past two years, he had participated in the breakfast program of the Ronald McDonald House on Lexington Street in Baltimore, preparing food for residents.

He was a communicant of the Greek Orthodox Cathedral of the Annunciation at Maryland Avenue and Preston Street, where he was a member of the parish council and president of the congregation. He also belonged to the University Club and the American Hellenic Progressive Association, philanthropic groups sponsored by the cathedral.

Services were held Feb. 4.

In addition to his wife, survivors include two daughters, Elena P. Conits of Abingdon and Amy W. Bridges of Winston-Salem, N.C.; his mother, Cleopatra Cavas of St. Louis; a sister, Bess Millonas of St. Louis; and two granddaughters.

Wallace Lee Havener Sr., 75, Chessie System executive

Wallace Lee Havener Sr., a retired Chessie System railroad executive, died of cancer Monday at the Gilchrist Nursing Center at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center. He was 75 and lived in Timonium.

He retired as national sales manager of the Chessie System's intermodal marketing department in 1983, ending a career he began in 1941 as a clerk in the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad's sales department in St. Louis.

Earlier, he worked for St. Louis Car Co. and General Motors Coach and Truck Division in St. Louis.

The Missouri native graduated from Rubicam Business College in St. Louis in 1939 and the Freight Traffic Institute in Chicago in 1949. In between, he served in the Army Air Corps from 1942 to 1946.

He was discharged as a major in the Army Reserves in 1967.

He was a member of Havenwood Presbyterian Church and CHEERS, a retirees organization for railroaders.

Services will be held at 10 a.m. today at Lemmon Funeral Home, 10 W. Padonia Road, Timonium.

He is survived by his wife of 53 years, the former Evelyn Ann Auchter; a son, Wallace Lee Havener Jr. of Owings Mills; a daughter, Carol Gerkens of Phoenix in Baltimore County; two sisters, Edith McAtee and Doris McAtee, both of St. Louis; and five grandchildren. Vashti Hunt Forman, a furniture saleswoman who was coordinator of a religious outreach television program, died of cancer Feb. 6 at her home near Reisterstown Road Plaza. She was 55.

Born Vashti A. Hall in Baltimore and raised in Pasadena's Jacobsville community, she was a 1957 graduate of Bates High School in Annapolis. She had worked for Lee's Furniture Co. in Baltimore for the past 25 years.

Her marriage to Henry Hunt ended in divorce. In 1982, during a service at First United Baptist Church in Baltimore, she met the Rev. William R. Forman, and they were married in 1984.

Mrs. Forman was minister of music at New Carmel Star Baptist Church in West Baltimore, where her husband is an associate minister. She was coordinator of "Ministries of God Outreach," a television program broadcast weekly to Central America, and was involved in New Carmel's women's ministry and taught Bible study.

Services were held Monday.

In addition to her husband, survivors include five sons, Michael Gibson and Henry Hunt Jr., both of Baltimore, Gary A. Hunt of Woodlawn, Larry E. Hunt of Pikesville, and Edward Forman of Staten Island, N.Y.; five daughters, Jean M. Jeffreys of Reisterstown, Sherry L. Hunt of Baltimore, Eileen M. Eldridge of Woodlawn, Reymunda Fong of Staten Island, N.Y., and MaShica Hunt of Pikesville; and 17 grandchildren.

She also is survived by her mother, Vashti R. Hall of Pasadena; three brothers, Kenneth Brooks of Randallstown, Rupert A. Hall of Mount Laurel, N.J., and Richard A. Hall of San Rafael, Calif.; four sisters, Vera A. Miller of Baltimore, Vivian H. Dewberry of Roslindale, Mass., and Verda A. Hall and Virgie A. Hall, both of Pasadena. Thomas A. Bessent, a retired Bethlehem Steel Corp. mechanical engineer who was active in the Sons of the American Revolution, died of cardiac arrest Sunday at his Perry Hall condominium. He was 76.

He retired from Bethlehem's Sparrows Point plant, where he was a lubricating engineer and the master mechanic in charge of maintenance of the coke ovens, in 1981, ending a career that began in 1946.

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.