Terps women lose to Duke, drop third game in row Maryland goes scoreless for 7 minutes, falls, 66-57

February 10, 1997|By Milton Kent | Milton Kent,SUN STAFF

DURHAM, N.C. -- With just more than nine minutes to go, the Maryland women's basketball team seemed to have No. 20 Duke in a hammerlock on its floor with a seven-point lead and lots of momentum.

From there, however, the Terps released their hold on the Blue Devils, going scoreless for more than seven minutes and dropping a 66-57 decision.

In contrast to Friday's 10-point loss at No. 5 North Carolina, in which Maryland (15-7, 6-6 in the Atlantic Coast Conference) played an inspired game, the Terps played in a fog for the final quarter of the game yesterday, losing their third in a row -- all to ranked teams.

"We played hard and smart for the first 30 minutes. In the last 10 minutes, maybe most of us played hard. But that was it," said an angry Maryland coach Chris Weller.

The play that drew Weller's ire came with 7: 03 to go, when Duke guard Kira Orr missed the second of two free throws, but teammate Tye Hall slipped in on the weak side all alone, gathered the rebound and laid the loose ball back in to tie the score at 50.

"That was a back breaker," said Weller. "If you're going to be in the correct defensive position and they get the rebound, then they want it more than you do."

For most of the game, Lillian Purvis and Tiffany Brown supplied the bulk of the Maryland offense from the perimeter. Purvis, a 5-foot-7 senior, scored 17, hitting her first seven shots.

Brown, a freshman and the team's best outside shooter, connected on four three-pointers to give her the school record for most three-pointers in a season with 35. Her third three-pointer with 9: 19 to go gave Maryland a 50-43 lead, but the game deteriorated from there.

"We just didn't run our offense. Basically, we went out of sync," said Purvis, a 5-foot-7 senior who has gained more playing time lately with the loss of Kelley Gibson, who tore an anterior cruciate knee ligament two weeks ago.

Indeed, the Terps, who did not shoot a free throw in the second half, stopped looking for outside shots, and went to a patient, ball-control offense. The Blue Devils (16-6, 8-4) picked up their intensity and erased a 10-rebound halftime deficit to finish even with Maryland.

"They [Terps] were very patient, which they always are, but down the stretch they were rushing shots," said Duke coach Gail Goestenkors.

The Terps, who entering last Monday's game with Virginia were a game out of second place in the ACC, have tumbled into a tie for fourth with Clemson with four games to play, needing a split to make a solid case for an NCAA tournament bid.

MARYLAND -- Cross 1-4 0-0 2, Chase 3-17 2-2 8, Davis 4-8 2-2 10, Bretz 1-2 2-2 4, Purvis 8-10 0-0 17, Brown 4-11 0-0 12, Ohman 2-5 0-0 4. Totals 23-57 6-6 57.

DUKE -- Rice 2-2 0-0 4, Browne 1-4 0-0 2, Black 5-7 2-2 12, Howard 1-4 7-8 9, Orr 5-10 4-6 16, Medhanie 1-4 0-0 3, Hall 9-13 2-5 20. Totals 24-44 15-21 66.

Halftime--Maryland 33-30. 3-point goals--Maryland 5-8 (Brown 4-7, Purvis 1-1), Duke 3-8 (Orr 2-3, Medhanie 1-3, Howard 0-2). Fouled out--None. Rebounds--Maryland 29 (Davis 7), Duke 29 (Hall 7). Assists--Maryland 11 (Cross, Chase, Davis, Purvis, Brown 2), Duke 14 (Howard 5). Total fouls--Maryland 15, Duke 14. A--4,120.

Pub Date: 2/10/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.