St. Benedict's wears down Calvert Hall, holds on for 66-65 win Dixon's 36 points not enough to save No. 2 Cardinals

February 02, 1997|By Derek Toney | Derek Toney,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

C It's no secret that the key to being successful against Calvert Hall is slowing down its senior backcourt of Juan Dixon and Aaron Herbert.

In last night's Southeast bracket championship game, St. Benedict's of New Jersey was able to do that just enough to hold off the No. 2 Cardinals, 66-65, before a crowd of 3,500 at the Towson Center.

Harold Wrotten scored 33 points to lead St. Benedict's (20-1), and Steven Branch added 11. Dixon led all scorers with 36 for Calvert Hall (19-3) and had a game-high seven rebounds.

Dixon, who's heading to Maryland, scored 11 points in the final period, including a three-pointer with four seconds remaining in the game, bringing Calvert Hall to within 66-65. St. Benedict's let a couple of seconds run off the clock before throwing the ball in deep down the court as time expired.

Despite scoring 11 in the fourth period, Dixon was tired for most of the period, missing a couple of jumpers badly along with three free throws. Herbert, who scored 15, also tired in the fourth before fouling out.

"They pushed up defensively on us," said Dixon. "They ran half-court traps, and we weren't prepared for it, even though Coach [Mark Amatucci] told us to be prepared."

Dixon, who was 4-for-11 from three-point range, managed only two in the second half, both coming in the final 13 seconds to bring Calvert Hall to within one.

Wrotten, who was 15-for-17 from the free-throw line, hit two to give St. Benedict's a 64-59 lead with 21.4 seconds remaining. Calvert Hall pulled to within two on Dixon's last three-pointer, but Glenn Davis converted two more free throws for St. Benedict's, which was 21-for-33 for the game.

In the second half, St. Benedict's threw various traps at Dixon, who scored 21 first-half points. But its overall defense turned the momentum, creating four turnovers that resulted in eight points during an 11-0 run, turning a 49-44 deficit into a 55-49 lead with 3: 43 left in regulation.

St. Benedict's led 60-52 with 54 seconds, but Calvert Hall battled back to within 62-58 when Dixon was fouled on a three-point attempt with 22.3 seconds remaining. Dixon, who was 12 of 15 from the line, missed the first two, before converting the third, bringing Calvert Hall to 62-59.

The Cardinals built a 43-33 lead with 3: 16 left in the third quarter on the strength of Herbert and Dixon, who combined to score the first 14 points of the second half for Calvert Hall. The lead grew to 45-34 after a layup by Antoine Peoples.

A layup by Reggie Bryant to open the final quarter gave Calvert Hall a 47-38 lead with 7: 44 left. On the ensuing inbounds, Gary Williams was assessed a technical foul for touching the ball while it was out of bounds. Wrotten hit two free throws, then followed with a three-pointer, bringing St. Benedict's to within 47-43.

Things slowly began unraveling for Calvert Hall from that point. After Dixon scored a jumper off the glass making it 49-44 with 7: 06 remaining, St. Benedict's ran off the next 11 as Calvert Hall failed to hit another field goal until Freddie Biggs' three-pointer with 43.7 seconds left.

"Maybe that call put us asleep for a while," said Calvert Hall coach Mark Amatucci. "But with all that going on, if we still make our free throws and don't turn the ball over, we're right there to win the game at the end."

In the beginning, Dixon was incredible for the opening 16 minutes, scoring 21 on 6-for-13 shooting, helping the Cardinals to a 29-25 halftime advantage.

Rice 72, Thomas Johnson 61: In the Southeast consolation game, Dyree Wilson scored 16 points and Franlin Temple added 14, leading Rice of New York past Thomas Johnson of Frederick, 72-61.

The Raiders were clinging to a 62-61 lead with 1: 20 remaining in the game, but Kenneth Satterfield scored on a driving layup and was fouled. His free throw extended Rice's lead to 65-61, sparking a 10-0 run. Satterfield scored all nine of his points in the second half, including seven during the closing surge.

Thomas Johnson, which lost to Calvert Hall on Thursday night, trailed 61-51, with 4: 50 left in the game. The Patriots went on a 10-1 run, capped by a 12-foot jumper by Hasheem Alexander.

Alexander, who has signed with Loyola College, scored 15 points. Terrence Morris led Thomas Johnson with 21 points and eight rebounds.

"I thought we played better than we did Thursday, we had more intensity," said Thomas Johnson coach Tom Dickman.

Pub Date: 2/02/97

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.