Woman, 23, burned when vapors start fire in her Havre de Grace apartment

December 31, 1996|By Richard Irwin | Richard Irwin,SUN STAFF

A Harford County woman suffered minor burns yesterday when vapors from a punctured aerosol spray can caused a fire in her Havre de Grace apartment, a spokesman for the state fire marshal's office said yesterday.

Michelle Mumpower, 23, of the 600 block of N. Stokes St. was in the bathroom about 3: 25 p.m. when an aerosol spray can of body mist fell from a shelf to the floor and was punctured by a carpet nail, causing aerosol vapors to escape, said Deputy Fire Marshal W. Faron Taylor, the spokesman.

Taylor said the vapors were ignited by the pilot light of a nearby gas-fired water heater, setting rugs in the bathroom on fire. He said flames spread throughout the apartment.

While trying to stomp out the burning rugs, Mumpower suffered first- and second-degree burns, Taylor said.

Taylor said smoke filled the two-story building, which has three other apartments and the P & K Market.

No other injuries were reported.

Taylor said 60 firefighters from the Havre de Grace Fire Department and from volunteer fire companies in Aberdeen, Perryville, Level, Port Deposit and the Aberdeen Proving Ground brought the fire under control in an hour.

Mumpower was treated at Harford Memorial Hospital for burns on her feet and released, said a nursing supervisor.

Pub Date: 12/31/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.