Loyola runs bowl streak to 8 against Calvert Hall Interception with minute left saves 12-7 victory

November 29, 1996|By Steven Kivinski | Steven Kivinski,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Calvert Hall was trying to create another "Miracle on 33rd Street" yesterday, when sophomore Paul Daley stepped in and wrecked the Cardinals' plans.

With his team trailing Loyola by five with under a minute left in the 77th annual Turkey Bowl, Calvert Hall quarterback Jason Bungori unleashed a long, rainbow pass that hung in the frigid Memorial Stadium air for what seemed like an eternity. The pass was slightly underthrown, which enabled Daley to get position on split end Troy Brown, make the interception at the 2 and secure the 12-7 victory.

The win, Loyola's eighth straight over Calvert Hall (3-8), gave the Dons the longest winning streak in the history of the rivalry and a share of the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association championship with St. Mary's and Mount St. Joseph.

"We got the ball down around the goal line; we just didn't cash in when we had to," said Calvert Hall coach Lou Eckerl, who would notcomment on an airplane that was circling the stadium with a message that read: "HEY LOU C H C IS GOING NOWHERE WITH U!!". "This one is tough to take because the kids really feel that they were close enough to win today."

Each team scored on its opening drive.

Loyola drove 66 yards on seven plays. Loyola junior quarterback Brant Hall (14 carries, 117 yards) raced around the right side and started celebrating in the last 2 yards of his 16-yard touchdown run. The Dons went for two but were unsuccessful when Hall's pass was incomplete. It was the only pass Hall didn't complete. He finished the day 7-for-8 for 69 yards.

Bungori connected with a wide-open Troy Brown for a 36-yard gain on Calvert Hall's opening drive, and the junior quarterback set up Jason Marrow's touchdown run by spinning and twisting his way for a 10-yard gain to the 4. Bungori's kick put the Cardinals ahead 7-6 with 5: 06 left.

The two teams battled for field position throughout most of the second quarter. Loyola (6-4) drove deep into Calvert Hall territory early in the quarter before fumbling it away at the 12.

Loyola's winning drive started at the Dons' 26 and ended with senior running back Eddie Holman scoring from 2 yards with 17 seconds left in the half. Loyola had to settle for six again, thanks to Pat Vananzi's block of Matt Hart's kick.

The only thing missing from the second half was scoring.

The Cardinals' best opportunity came at the start of the fourth quarter and was gone before they knew it. The Cardinals started the period with second-and-eight at the Dons' 22, and 14 seconds and three passes later, Loyola took over on downs.

Mike Wineke got behind Loyola's secondary on second down, but Bungori's pass was a second late. Bungori's next pass was on time and on target and would have been a first down had his receiver made the catch.

Loyola wasn't able to score on its final drive, in which it ran 17 plays and had the ball for nearly 10 minutes.

"In a rivalry like this, you can't expect a blowout," said Hall. "I came in here thinking it was going to be tight. I'm just glad we were able to pull it out."

Loyola coach Joe Brune said, "You get up there to seven in a row and you say to yourself, 'Sooner or later, this has got to stop.' "

Pub Date: 11/29/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.