Man nearly shot while brushing teeth Lothian neighbor charged

November 27, 1996

A Lothian man was charged with reckless endangerment Monday after a neighbor was nearly struck by a bullet while brushing his teeth.

Patrick M. Treland, 20, of the unit block of Lyons Creek Mobile Estates was charged with reckless endangerment, police said.

William J. Strickland told police he was in his bathroom in the 6200 block of Southern Maryland Blvd. about 6: 45 a.m. when he heard a crash and felt something zip behind his back. Strickland found a bullet lodged in the wall.

Strickland called police and led them to Treland's home in the trailer park. The park is 200 yard across an open field from Strickland's home.

Strickland told police he had warned Treland for weeks about firing the rifle, and each time the man would stop but return the next morning.

Treland told police that the rifle was his father's and that he had been shooting after his father left for work. He said he fired 13 rounds into the air and did not consider where the bullets would come down, the police report said.

Police said one of the rounds went through Strickland's bathroom. His wife and children also were in the home.

Edgewater man arrested on drug possession charges

Police arrested an Edgewater man Sunday on drug charges after the car in which he was a passenger was stopped for equipment violations.

Christian Edward Shunk, 23, of the 3900 block of Germantown Road was charged with possession of marijuana, possession of LSD and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Officer Brian Daniels was eastbound on Central Avenue about 3: a.m. when he saw a 1987 Pontiac that was missing a tag light and had a loud exhaust.

Daniels stopped the car and wrote a ticket after the driver said she did not have her license and registration.

Daniels found a marijuana pipe in the car, police said.

The officer searched the driver and three passengers and found a bag of marijuana in a man's jacket pocket and another pipe in his pants pocket, police said. Police found a bag with 13 doses of LSD in the man's wallet.

Police let the others go.

Annapolis Mall evacuated after bomb threat

The Annapolis Mall was evacuated for about 30 minutes Monday after a mall receptionist received a phone threat that two bombs were inside, county police said.

Police said a caller told the mall receptionist about noon that two bombs were set to go off at 1 p.m. She said the caller sounded like a middle-aged man and that the voice sounded as if it had been recorded or that the call was made from a cellular phone.

She told police the caller repeated his message twice.

Pub Date: 11/27/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.