Family flees fire no one seriously hurt

November 26, 1996|By Jill Hudson | Jill Hudson,SUN STAFF

A fire early Saturday in a North Laurel apartment displaced a family for a night and caused about $10,000 in damage, the Howard County Fire Department said yesterday.

Deputy State Fire Marshal W. Faron Taylor said the small fire was extinguished by a residential sprinkler system. No one was seriously injured.

The fire started in the bedroom of Magali Ferere's third-floor apartment in the 9700 block of Tiger Lily Path, the Fire Department said.

Ferere's 16-year-old daughter, Tasha, was awakened by smoke at 12: 18 a.m. and saw her bedroom curtains on fire, Taylor reported.

As the girl fled the bedroom, an automatic sprinkler system was activated and the fire was extinguished.

The State Fire Marshal determined that clothing behind a bed was ignited when extension cords became overheated.

No other units in the building were affected, Taylor said yesterday, but the Fire Department said other units suffered water damage.

Pub Date: 11/26/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
|
|
|
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.