Convicted drug dealer Jones charged with rape

November 26, 1996|By John Rivera | John Rivera,SUN STAFF

John E. "Liddie" Jones, who was described at his 1973 federal narcotics trial as the No. 2 drug dealer in Baltimore, has been arrested on charges that he raped a woman he suspected of being a police informant.

Jones, 56, who was released from federal prison in June, was sentenced to 30 years in prison in September 1973 after being convicted of charges of running a multimillion-dollar heroin distribution organization. He was released two years ago and sent back to prison last year for a parole violation.

Jones, of the 3700 block of Trent Road in Randallstown, was charged Thursday with rape, assault and theft after allegedly sexually assaulting a woman who approached him to buy drugs, according to court documents.

On Wednesday, about 5: 45 p.m., the woman went into a store in the 2000 block of Edmondson Ave. to buy drugs, according to a charging document. As the woman talked with Jones and his wife, a man came into the store and accused the woman of working with police. Jones allegedly insisted the woman walk to the rear of the store, where he made her undress to see if she was wearing a recording device. As he searched her, Jones allegedly found a minitape cassette recorder in her bra.

Jones allegedly told the woman that if he told his friends in the front of the store that he'd found a cassette recorder on her, she would never leave the store. But if she had sex with him, it would prove that she was not working with police. He would not tell anyone about the recorder, and would let her go unharmed, the charging documents said.

Fearing for her life, the woman agreed to have sex with Jones, the charging documents said. Jones' son tried to enter the room, interrupting the alleged assault.

As Jones allegedly escorted the woman from the storage area, he told her he would not tell anyone about the recorder, which he put into his pocket, and she could leave the store without anyone hurting her.

Jones was arrested and charged Thursday. He was released from Central Booking and Intake Center on Friday on $75,000 bail, court records said.

Jones began to form his drug organization after his release from a federal prison in Lewisburg, Pa., in 1971, where he served a five-year sentence on a drug conviction. F. Lee Bailey, who was on the O. J. Simpson legal team, defended Jones at his trial in 1974 on state drug charges. Jones was convicted and sentenced to 32 years, with 20 to be served in addition to his federal sentence.

Pub Date: 11/26/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.