Lakers lose composure, 1st playoff to PG team Refs halt penalty-ridden semifinal with 1: 20 to play

November 24, 1996|By Lem Satterfield | Lem Satterfield,SUN STAFF

GREENBELT -- Lake Clifton, in its first Class 4A state playoffs, visited a Roosevelt football team yesterday that was in its second straight, but its first semifinal. Despite being up 8-3 at halftime, the Lakers (10-2) lost both their composure and the game, 29-8.

Having called 22 penalties (10 against Roosevelt, 12 against Lake Clifton) and with tempers flaring as the game's end neared, officials ended play with 1: 20 remaining.

In the third quarter, Lakers' linebacker Djorrel Dunn was ejected after officials said he threw a punch at a Roosevelt player -- a decision that set Lake Clifton coach James Monroe fuming.

The Lakers also went home having to await an investigation by their principal, Stan Holmes, into allegations that after the game one of his team's players threw a rock that broke a car window.

The Raiders' 11th straight victory earned them (11-1) a shot at the state title against Montgomery County's Sherwood (11-1), a 37-0 winner over Seneca Valley (11-1), at Byrd Stadium in College Park next weekend.

"Roosevelt's a great team, and their coach did his homework. But it should have been players against players. When officials win a game, it's not fair," said Monroe, whose Lakers had won eight straight games. "The things they missed were ridiculous.

"One official cursed one of my players and threw him out the next play," Monroe continued. "That's not professionalism. It was just the officials going after us, and I'll write a letter to whomever I have to saying that."

The Raiders (217 offensive yards), ranked No. 5 in the Washington, D.C., area by The Washington Post, wore down the Lakers (10-2) with 205-pound fullbacks Kevin Brooks (96 yards, 19 carries, one touchdown) and Troy Franklin (44 yards, one touchdown). They also got William Bowden's 45-yard punt return for a touchdown that made it 16-8 with 5: 45 to play, but Franklin's 23-yard scoring run for a 23-8 lead with 2: 01 to play was the back-breaker.

The brightest spots for Lake Clifton, whose defense held Roosevelt to 74 yards in the first half, were Jason Carrothers registering his 17th sack, an interception by his brother, Robert, and Robert Gross' fumble recovery at the Raiders' 16. The recovery set up Joe Able's 3-yard touchdown pass to Terril Lowery for an 8-0 Lakers lead late in the first period.

"We were in control at that point and felt they couldn't stop us," said Lowery, a senior who caught his 10th touchdown pass of season and the 37th of his career, one away from the state record.

Roosevelt's Brooks' 1-yard touchdown run with 8: 31 left in the third period gave his team the lead, 10-8, after an eight-play, xTC yard third-period drive -- during which Dunn's ejection


"I was the one he punched, and I don't know why, because he was shutting us down," Brooks said later. "Losing him pretty much took them out of it."

Pub Date: 11/24/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.