Penn State used a 14-0 run early in the second half to erase a nine-point deficit and defeat visiting Mount St. Mary's, 64-57, in the opener for both teams last night.
Gerben Van Dorpe led the Mount with 16 points and had 11
rebounds. Gregory Harris and Rob Balgac scored 10 each.
The Mount led 24-20 at the half and scored the next five points before the Nittany Lions scored the next 14 points and 23 of the next 26. Penn State stretched its lead to as many as 11.
* Johns Hopkins 76, Washington College 74: Matt Gorman's tip-in at the buzzer gave Johns Hopkins the victory in the Blue Jay Classic championship game.
Hopkins (2-0) led 38-33 at halftime, and by as much as 10 points in the second half, but the Shoremen (1-1) tied the game 74-74 on Brad Burkhart's basket with 10 seconds remaining.
Blue Jays forward Wes Unseld (Loyola) missed a deep three-point try in the final seconds, but center Gorman, the tournament MVP, tipped up the decisive shot.
* Montclair State 90, Western Maryland 72: Sophomore guard B. J. Reilly scored 27 points, including 10-for-10 from the foul line, to lead Montclair State (2-0) over Western Maryland (1-1) in the championship of the Western Maryland Tip-Off Tournament.
* Salisbury State 104, Lynchburg 99: Shawn Johnson scored 26 points on 11-for-17 shooting and John DeRichie added 17 points as the Sea Gulls improved to 2-0.
* Villa Julie 64, St. Mary's 60: Senior forward Shuron Woodyard scored 21 as the Mustangs (1-1) rallied to edge the Seahawks (0-2) in the consolation of the Blue Jay Classic at Johns Hopkins.
* Hampden-Sydney 83, Goucher 64: Bryan Sheridan and Maurice Ross each scored 14 and the host Tigers (2-0) won the Wal-Mart Tipoff Classic Tournament title. Bakari Ward scored a game-high 20 for the Gophers (1-1).
* Navy 58, Gonzaga 55: Tournament MVP Adria Schneck scored 24 points to power Navy (2-0) past Gonzaga, Wash., (1-1) in the championship of the Gate City Shootout in Pocatello, Idaho.
Joanne Groth scored nine points for Navy and was named to the All-Tournament team.
Navy tied the game at 55 at the 1: 47 mark and took the lead on Groth's follow shot with 44 seconds left. Becky Dowling's free throw with 19 seconds left sealed it.
* UMBC 51, Cleveland State 50: Freshman forward Allyson Sieka scored UMBC's final seven points to lift the Retrievers in the opener for both teams.
* St. Peter's 101, UMES 56: Four players scored in double figures as the host Peahens opened with a win over the Hawks.
* Johns Hopkins 67, Catholic 32: Julie Anderson scored 23 and added 14 rebounds as Johns Hopkins overpowered the Cardinals in the first round of the Blue Jay Classic. Johns Hopkins plays William Paterson in today's final.
* Western Maryland 95, Villa Julie 27: Junior forward Katie Haley scored 25 points, helping the Green Terror (1-1) roll over the Mustangs (0-2) in the consolation of the Lady Spartan Tournament at York College.
Pub Date: 11/24/96