Sonics outlast Bullets in 2 OT Seattle loses lead of 16 in final 6: 00

Webber hits 34, all 10 in 1st OT

November 21, 1996|By Phil Jackman | Phil Jackman,SUN STAFF

LANDOVER -- With about six minutes remaining in regulatio and trailing Seattle by 16 points, the Washington Bullets appeared as if they didn't have a ghost of a chance in last night's 115-110 double-overtime loss to the SuperSonics.

In addition to being on an eight-game winning streak, the Sonics were getting the offense they needed from Shawn Kemp and Gary Payton, and there was always that terrific defense they feature.

With a 21-5 run, however, the Bullets sent the game into overtime on a 25-foot three-pointer by Chris Webber with five seconds remaining and 48 minutes of action were all but wiped out.

The Bullets also were down a couple of times in the first overtime, the last time with two seconds remaining. But Webber again -- the man was everywhere -- followed up an errant shot for his 10th straight point in the five-minute session to force another overtime.

The Sonics did have a chance at the end of the first overtime, but Kemp's shot was blocked by of course, Webber.

It all went for naught for the home team and the highly partisan 18,756 fans when Payton started the second overtime with six straight points to finish off the Bullets.

The way Kemp started, scoring 23 of his 34 points in the first half, and Payton finished, finally ending up with 31 points, Seattle looked unbeatable until Webber got it going.

Playing a career-high 56 minutes, Webber started slowly but carried the Bullets over the last 30 minutes while totaling 34 points, 13 rebounds, five assists and seven blocked shots.

Kemp added 12 rebounds, Payton had seven assists and Detlef Schrempf contributed 23 points and 15 rebounds. Clearly, it was a case of Chris Webber being outnumbered.

Similar to the night before in Toronto, when the Sonics made the Raptors look positively prehistoric with a 32-12 second quarter, Seattle made its move after hitting the first stop behind, 28-23.

The Sonics scored 20 points to Washington's eight and here came Kemp off the bench after scoring 14 points in the first 12 minutes. After a couple of quick baskets, though, the Bullets had a lineup that could keep up with the Sonics after much experimenting.

Jaren Jackson and Tracy Murray, who had come off the bench to score six points apiece in the first quarter, stayed on in place of Calbert Cheaney and Harvey Grant and the added firepower pulled the Bullets to within three at halftime, 51-48.

Everybody took a shot trying to cover Kemp one-on-one, but nothing worked until all hands helped out and attacked the All-Star forward every time the ball went to him down low or around the baseline.

Kemp added nine points in the second quarter for a half total of 23 as Seattle seemed content on just three players providing its offense. Schrempf and Payton scored 11 points each.

The Bullets didn't shoot nearly as well from the field, but the fact it had a solid edge in rebounds in the half (21-14) and Juwan Howard's three straight late baskets kept them solvent.

NOTE: Bullets center Gheorghe Muresan, who had missed the first five games of the season with a hip injury, missed another last night with flu-like symptoms.

Pub Date: 11/21/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.