Md. women defeat GW in 1st round of NCAAs Hard-earned 2-0 victory leaves Terps unsatisfied

November 17, 1996|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

COLLEGE PARK -- After the final whistle blew, the Maryland women's soccer team somberly walked off the field.

There were few high-fives. Few smiles.

Putting in a subpar performance, the No. 13 Terps used two second-half goals and some timely stops by their defense to defeat George Washington, 2-0, in the first round of the NCAA Division I tournament before 714 at Ludwig Field yesterday.

Maryland (18-4-2), which advanced to the quarterfinal round last year in its first NCAA tournament, faces the winner of today's Texas A&M (No. 6)-San Diego game in the second round next weekend. Yesterday's tournament appearance for George Washington (10-7-4) was its first.

"At this stage of the season, winning is vital," said Maryland's first-year coach, Alan Kirkup, who last season coached Southern Methodist to three wins over Texas A&M. "In the end, we did enough for the victory."

And victories have become rare for Maryland recently. The Terps ended their regular season with just one win in their last five games, getting shut out twice.

That's far from Maryland's season-opening pace of 14 consecutive wins, which included a 5-0 rout of George Washington. However, yesterday's victory for the Terps tied the year-old single-season school record for wins.

"We basically agreed that this is a new season," said Maryland defender Erin Taylor, the Atlantic Coast Conference's Player of the Year. "The regular season is in the past and you can't bring it with you."

Although the Colonials dominated offensively in the second half, it was the Terps who converted.

Maryland sophomore Emmy Harbo broke the scoreless tie six minutes into the second half. After George Washington goalkeeper Traci Jensen deflected Keri Sarver's shot, Harbo one-timed the rebound into the left corner of the goal for her fifth game-winning goal of the season.

It also was Harbo's 34th career goal and Sarver's 18th career assist -- both school records.

The tandem combined again with three minutes left in the game when Sarver scored on a powerful right-footed blast off a pass from Harbo to put Maryland ahead 2-0.

But the Colonials applied the offensive pressure consistently. George Washington took five corner kicks in the second half and played most of the second half in its offensive end.

There was one problem: trying to get a clear shot on backup goalkeeper Kassie Knecht, who was filling in for injured Missy Price.

Knecht, who started in goal all last year as a freshman, made only two saves, but showed aggressiveness by punching away several corner kicks to record her first shutout of the season and the Terps' ninth.

And led by Taylor, the Terps' defenders cleared, knocked down and cut off several crossing passes and shots within the penalty area. Maryland also broke up a four-on-two Colonials counterattack late in the second half.

"I think if we'd scored early, it would've changed things," said Colonials coach Shannon Higgins-Cirovski, who is married to Maryland men's soccer coach Sasho Cirovski. "But we didn't. We didn't finish the chances we had. They put away two they had."


Fordham 3, Loyola 2: John Wolyniec took a pass from Rob Zuclich with 17: 53 remaining and scored the game-winner to send the Rams into the Division I tournament with a win in an

NCAA play-in game. Loyola (11-9-2) outshot Fordham (12-8-1) by 24-13but couldn't score despite playing the final 24: 53 with a man advantage because of red card to a Rams player.

Bethany 2, Johns Hopkins 0: Dale Beattie and Dawda Njie scored in the game's final 21 minutes, as Bethany (16-4) dropped Johns Hopkins (16-2-1) in an NCAA Division III tournament game in Elizabethtown, Pa.

Pub Date: 11/17/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.