Westminster overpowered by Fallston, 2-0 Owls' offensive chances are limited by Cougars

Girls soccer

November 10, 1996|By Rich Scherr | Rich Scherr,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

To get to last night's Class 4A-3A state semifinal at Severna Park High School, the Westminster Owls -- a sub-.500 team for much of this season -- had to win five of six games, silencing critics while playing some of their best soccer of the year.

Against powerful Fallston, however, their best wasn't nearly good enough.

Though the Cougars won by only a 2-0 score, they dominated every facet of the game, outshooting their overmatched opponents, 20-3, in advancing to their second state final in the past three years.

Fallston (13-2-1) will play Arundel at 2: 30 p.m. Saturday at Dundalk Community College. Arundel beat Bowie, 1-0, last night.

"We just couldn't keep up with them," said Westminster coach Bill Cooper. "They just beat us to every ball tonight, on the ground and in the air. We spent way too much time in our defense, and we couldn't get the ball to our front line. Their speed and their quickness to the ball took us right out of our game."

Yet until the final minutes, the Owls (8-8) were only one good scoring opportunity away from a tie.

All game long, the Cougars used a tenacious, pressing defense to create turnovers near midfield. But once they got the ball on the offensive end, as has been the case for most of the season, they had difficulty finishing.

"It was a situation where we controlled the game, but we've been beaten before when we've just let up one opportunity and they capitalize on it," said Fallston coach Nancy Ferguson. "In the second half, we pushed it up and had a couple key opportunities, but no one was there."

After taking a 1-0 lead 12: 55 into the game on Karen Tiedemann's goal following a scramble in front of the net, the Cougars went the next 61: 14 scoreless -- this despite keeping the ball deep in Westminster's end for much of that time.

"It was very nerve-wracking," said Tiedemann, "Our defense had to step up."

And step up it did. The Cougars' smothering defense held Westminster without a shot until Kimberly Frame fired one off with nine seconds left in the first half.

The Owls played better offensively in the second half, getting good scoring chances on two occasions.

When Fallston's Kelly Caine scored off a pass from Jamie Neumann with 5: 51 to play, the game was essentially over.

Cooper said he was happy to see his players fight until the final whistle.

"They played their hearts out until the very end, and I think they honestly believed they were going to pull it out," said Cooper. "It wasn't until there was about 30 seconds left that they realized they weren't going to be able to pull it out."

Pub Date: 11/10/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.