Hammond bombards Cambridge, gains final Bears hit 2A-1A Vikings for 41 shots, 6-0 win

Girls soccer

November 10, 1996|By Jamison Hensley | Jamison Hensley,CONTRIBUTING WRITER

After the final whistle, Cambridge-South Dorchester goalkeeper Ruth Wilson walked off the field with mud caked over her entire body. She dove, slid and lunged throughout the entire game.

The physical and relentless Hammond attack kept the first-year goalkeeper busy and dirty, firing 41 shots as the Bears squashed the Vikings, 6-0, yesterday in a Class 2A-1A state semifinal game at Lansdowne High School.

Hammond (8-7-1), eighth in the Howard County League's season, will face Loch Raven in the Class 2A-1A state final at Dundalk Community College at 5 p.m. Saturday. It will be the Bears' first state championship game since 1993, when they lost to -- Loch Raven.

The Bears outshot the Vikings, 41-4, including 16-1 in the first half. Cambridge sent its only shot on goal with 12 minutes remaining in the game.

"I think we controlled the ball today better than we have all season," said Hammond's first-year coach, Ken Zachmann. "But you have to give credit to their goalkeeper [Wilson]. She's the best I've seen this year."

Wilson of Cambridge (11-5) kept the score in single digits by making 19 saves. But Hammond's game plan was simple: shoot and never stop applying pressure.

The Bears started the onslaught 10 minutes into the game, putting four shots on goal in a matter of two minutes. Emily Bielefeld, one of only four seniors on the team, opened the scoring by taking a corner kick from her freshman sister, Martha, on the far post and booting it into the left corner of the goal 15 minutes into the game.

Five minutes later, Michelle Jenkins outran the Cambridge defense for a loose ball and scored easily for a 2-0 Hammond lead.

Then the breaking point came for the Vikings. With 10 minutes remaining in the half and having been outshot 13-1, Cambridge caved in.

Attempting to settle a soft centering pass by Jenkins, Vikings defender Krista Drescher had the ball hit off her foot and into her own goal, increasing the Bears' lead to 3-0 and meaning they VTC had scored two more times than Cambridge had shot.

"Everything was going our way today," said Jenkins, who has four goals in her past two games. "We have really brought our game together recently."

Hammond began the second half with the same intensity, tagging seven shots in the first five minutes.

The total after 7 1/2 minutes elapsed in the second half: Hammond four goals; Cambridge two shots.

"We have a certain way of playing whoever it is out there against us," Zachmann said. "We go after the ball and look for the first touch. And that's what happened today."

Pub Date: 11/10/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.