Wilde Lake gains final in 2A with 2-0 victory over Decatur No. 13 Wildecats ride goals by Shapiro, Briefel to win

Boys soccer

November 10, 1996|By Jeff Seidel | Jeff Seidel,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

NEW MARKET -- Wilde Lake is becoming used to playing state semifinal games in less than perfect conditions.

The Wildecats' semifinal victory last year was suspended in the second half due to violent rainstorms. And their semifinal last night began with temperatures in the mid-40s and another driving rainstorm.

But No. 13 Wilde Lake again weathered the storm, getting goals from Matt Shapiro and David Briefel to score a 2-0 victory over Stephen Decatur in a Class 2A state semifinal at Linganore High School.

Wilde Lake (11-4-1) now makes its fourth trip to the state final in the last six years, taking on Rockville, a 3-0 winner over Towson last night, on Saturday at Old Mill. The Wildecats won in 1991, but lost in 1993 and 1995.

The Wildecats used Shapiro's early goal to take control. Shapiro scored on a direct free kick just 5 minutes, 12 seconds into the game to give Wilde Lake a lead it never lost.

"In this weather and in this cold, an early goal gave us an advantage," said Wilde Lake coach David Nesbitt. "It was very difficult for either team to be creative."

Shapiro curved his kick around the Stephen Decatur wall and it bounced past goalie David Davis (eight saves) inside the right post.

"I just tried to keep it low," said Shapiro. "It skipped right in front of him and popped in."

Davis, however, kept Decatur (13-3) close the rest of the way. He made several big saves as Wilde Lake pressured the Seahawks throughout the game.

Fighting through the first-half downpour, the Wildecats manufactured several scoring opportunities. Mamay Clarke just missed out-dueling Davis for a loose ball in front at the nine-minute mark.

At the 18-minute mark, Briefel got a ball in the box, wheeled and fired from about five yards out. Davis blocked the shot.

Shapiro tried again on a direct kick with 19 minutes left in the half. But this time, Davis leaped and knocked the shot over the crossbar.

The Seahawks' best chances came a few minutes apart. With 14: 50 left in the half, Ricky Oltman fired one from 25 yards out that Wilde Lake goalie Nick Parypinski stopped.

Jason Robertson, the top Decatur scorer, made a beautiful cross about three minutes later, but nobody was home in front of the goal.

Briefel sealed the victory when he scored with only 33 seconds remaining on a hard shot from about 15 feet in front. He took a pass from Curtis after a corner kick and fired it past Davis just inside the far post.

Pub Date: 11/10/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.