St. Joe ends losing streak, topping host Loyola, 34-27 Gaels assured title share for third straight year

November 10, 1996|By Derek Toney | Derek Toney,SPECIAL TO THE SUN

As time expired in yesterday's Mount St. Joseph-Loyola game, about a dozen Gaels ran up a hill behind the west-end goal post to tear down a sign that read: "Crush the Gaels."

It has been a year since Loyola beat Mount St. Joseph, costing the Gaels not only a chance to win the Maryland Interscholastic Athletic Association A Conference title outright, but a perfect season and the area's No. 1 ranking.

Redemption arrived for the No. 15 Gaels yesterday, knocking off the host and No. 12 Dons, 34-27. But the post-game talk was more about respect as Mount St. Joseph (6-4, 3-1) assured itself of a tie for the league title for the third straight season.

"It was more redemption, not so much from last year, but the last two weeks," said Gaels coach Mike Working, whose team wore T-shirts under their jersies with the word "Respect."

In ending a three-game losing skid that included close losses to No. 6 City and No. 1 St. Mary's, Mount St. Joseph is tied with St. Mary's (3-1 league), a 40-3 winner over Calvert Hall yesterday.

Loyola (4-4, 2-1) could have clinched at least a tie with a win yesterday but now must beat Calvert Hall on Thanksgiving Day to force a three-way tie for first -- for the second straight season.

Junior receiver Chaz Browncaught a 36-yard scoring pass from Lucas Phillips with 1: 07 remaining in regulation, breaking a 27-27 tie.

The winning 41-yard drive, which took only 20 seconds, was set up by John O'Donnell's interception. Then, Mount St. Joseph got a 5-yard run from Aaron Thompson. And Phillips found Brown behind a left-side defender for the winning score.

The Dons had one final possession to score with 1: 01 remaining. On fourth-and-10, Brad Cook made a great diving attempt, but couldn't come up with the pass from Brant Hall (137 passing, 61 rushing) near the Gaels' 30.

Loyola gained its only lead at 27-20 with 11: 13 left in the game on a 3-yard run by Tim Nicholas (116 yards) and two-point run by Hall.

St. Mary's 40, Calvert Hall 3: Ernie Listman scored four touchdowns as top-ranked and host St. Mary's (8-2, 3-1) rolled, assuring itself a share of the MIAA A Conference title.

Lake Clifton 16, Walbrook 6: Darnell Pearsall went past 1,000 yards rushing when he ran for 120, plus a two-point conversion to lead No. 5 Lake Clifton (9-1).

Hereford 41, Catonsville 14: Jason Wingeart rushed seven times for 181 yards and two touchdowns and had two interceptions to lead host No. 11 Hereford to its first 10-0 season.

Aberdeen 14, Edgewood 6: E.J. Henderson rushed for a touchdown as No. 3 Aberdeen improved to 10-0 overall and 7-0 in Harford County with a road win over Edgewood (6-4, 5-3).

Pub Date: 11/10/96

Baltimore Sun Articles
Please note the green-lined linked article text has been applied commercially without any involvement from our newsroom editors, reporters or any other editorial staff.